PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

I ran it long enough to positive it wasn't doing anything. I think it's time for a total rebuild. Compressor, Dryer, Accumulator and whatever else I can find.
    If anybody reading this has any parts.. I'm gonna start a collection.
    All FORD All The Time

just go to rock auto. I just picked up everything I need at a really reasonable price.

Condenser, compressor, drier, new hoses (3x), orifice tube. I chose to just flush out the evaporator, though that is available and too can be changed out.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

My advice is to make sure you buy a NEW compressor. My '85 ate two reman units before I sold it in favor of my current '88. Went straight for new with that one and haven't had a problem.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Derek, you aren't the only person that has told me that. I've never re-built an A/C system before but I have spent quite a bit of time with 335 series FORD engines.
    I'll get to learn something new here and get garage time in the process. Win/Win.!!
    Thanks.
    Once this is correct, I'll move on to bumpers. My front one is rotted through behind the tag mount.
    I'd like to go with aluminum, but we'll see when it's time..
    All FORD All The Time

I would also suggest getting a new DENSO unit. I went through 2 "new" compressors in 4 years with my 93 but the Denso I put on there has lasted 3 years now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm learning more about A/C every day here. Apparently somebody else had their hands in the soup somewhere because there are 134 fittings on it. Sooo…
    What do ya'll use to flush these parts.?
    I'm going to try flushing out the condenser along with a new dryer and compressor.
    I'll take your advice Sly. Thanks.
    All FORD All The Time

I use AC flush and compressed air to force it through the coils. Comes in a metal can and is insanely harsh chemical. Eye protection, thick solvent resistant gloves, and a small funnel to help pour the stuff into the lines (I usually go through the bottom of the evap after pulling the orifice tube out and hold a rag/shop towel over the top exit with no dryer to catch the crap and just do my best not to spill a lot when putting it into the condenser).

If you get the AC flush on your skin it WILL burn. There should be no lasting effects if you get it cleaned off quickly, but it will hurt. Stuff flashes off quickly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Well..
    An old friend has a friend with an R-12 recharge/service unit and might have a line on refrigerant.
    Worth converting it back.??
    All FORD All The Time

I post a lot...

I wouldn’t. It will work ok if properly converted. If you go back to R12 and need a small top off you may be stuck paying a ton for a can of old stock R12
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

It will perform somewhat better but limited stock of refrigerant and all that to deal with makes it a less appealing choice for me. If the system is working properly and the coils are clean, it'll get cold enough with R134a. Make sure the fan clutch is good though, or an electric fan is a help. I've heard good things about using R152, which is the stuff in computer duster cans, but no personal experience with that. Apparently performance-wise its somewhere between R12 and R134a. If my stuff wasn't already converted and working I'd be tempted to try it.

Before buying parts I'd evaluate what is there. Do a pressure test first to see if its even got anything in the system. I can tell you that popping open a partly charged system will spray stinky oil all over, and you're not going to be having a fun time of it. Pull the orifice tube and inspect it. If its full of garbage, then you know something bad happened and the condenser is likely full of crap and the compressor may have blown up. If its not all nasty, put a new tube in, flush the condenser to get rid of any old congealed oil goo, put it together with a new drier and O rings on all the joints and go from there. Replacing the condenser with a more modern type of better efficiency isn't the worst idea if yours is leaky or clogged.

You can flush the evap or not, its your call. Honestly the chances of anything really being in there is small since it would get stopped by the orifice tube. The condenser is where things will end up. That one wants to be flushed small tube to big tube, which is opposite the normal flow direction.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Thanks fellas. Forgive me for being a newbie to HVAC please. I'm just starting to grasp how my mini-split on my house works. LOL..
    Although the novelty of R-12 would be legit.. (I remember frost coming out of the vents on my 84 Capri...LOL.. man, do I miss that car)
    I think the 134 is probably the wisest choice.
    So do I need a special spring tool or extractor for the orifice tube and...where is it.?
    Anybody got a good part number for a compressor.? Rock auto shows nothing like I have and I want to buy a good one.
    I'm gonna dig into this again this weekend if I can get time.
    I think window switches are in my future too.. mine are intermittent. They are going to get cleaned up and lubed.
    All FORD All The Time

The orifice tool can be rented from most parts places. I bought one as they're not that spendy and I've done enough jobs since to pay for it in saved gas trips to the parts store to rent one.

Here's the one I have. IIRC, the brass part on the right is the one to use with the Fords. Basically hook ir on the tube and then continue twisting it to help break the seals loose and pull it out.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the AC compressor... Looks like RA doesn't have any decent brands. Not sure you'll be able to get around this issue though. I'm not finding any denso versions of the FS6 compressor. I've had bad luck with Four Seasons in my Aero, but my 88 I think has a Four Seasons from AutoZone in it and didn't have any issues. So it might be worth rolling the dice on that, but you may want to get one locally to have a "lifetime warranty" (if available) and get free replacements down the road if it does die.

The tube is in the lower pipe of the evaporator, just inside the connector. Evap is the part in the dashboard. Unhook the line going there and you'll see it down inside.

I've debated buying an NOS FS6 compressor just as a backup but haven't quite pulled the trigger. I had a Four Seasons that went leaky on my Towncar in a couple years. The Motorcraft on it now sounds like a dying air raid siren but its been doing that for 7 or 8 years now. The old one on the Continental is very quiet, not completely sure of it's history but we suspect it may be the original from John's 1986 Vic.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Again, Thanks. I'm learning a whole lot about something I always wanted to know a little bit about.
    Over morning coffee JoeGoogle and I found this forum. https://www.autoacforum.com/messagev...threadid=14821
    The more I read about compressors and compare cost vs quality.. the sadder the situation becomes.
    I'm debating trying to adapt an FS-10 from a newer truck. There'll be a metric ton of them available for a long LONG time.
    All FORD All The Time

Given the choice of an FS6 or an FS10, I'll stick with the FS6. Not any less reliable and no nonsense to adapt it. If I were to adapt something else it would be a Sanden compressor, whatever that 7 cylinder swash plate one is. SD7 I think? I put one on my S10 to replace the junk GM compressor after that thing failed for the third time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12