PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

fomoco panthers !

When I retired from "public service" I really did not want to deal with walking and talking people. Needed to detox from the public. I knew a couple of WM greeters. They upgraded to Id checker at Sam's club. Shoppers there are a better class of cretan they say.
    Now WM has "mask ambassadors". As you walk in, the person mumbles some drivel about CDC and asks you if you want a mask.

Hey it doesn't have to be loud to be awesome. A little tone is good. Congratulations on retirement. When I started, I could retire at 30 years. The state changed the rules and my age and experience now have to equal 90, which means I have to work 37 years to retire (25 more, screw that).
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Wal-Mart wallet inspector FTW!!11!!!!!1111!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Hey it doesn't have to be loud to be awesome. A little tone is good. Congratulations on retirement. When I started, I could retire at 30 years. The state changed the rules and my age and experience now have to equal 90, which means I have to work 37 years to retire (25 more, screw that).
    I really didn't want it loud, so I'm relieved. A lot of new cars with performance exhausts sound like noisemakers with sink drain pipes for exhaust. Their low compression and cam timing make it even worse...Example is a friend has a new Vette with the SLP loudmouth exhaust. I didn't want that. So I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Wal-Mart wallet inspector FTW!!11!!!!!1111!!!
    These guys love razzing me with that. I told the last wildcat that was picking on me that the chances of me even going into a Wal-Mart is even less than seeing me here at work on October 2nd..
    All FORD All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    When I retired from "public service" I really did not want to deal with walking and talking people. Needed to detox from the public. I knew a couple of WM greeters. They upgraded to Id checker at Sam's club. Shoppers there are a better class of cretan they say.
    Now WM has "mask ambassadors". As you walk in, the person mumbles some drivel about CDC and asks you if you want a mask.
    I can't imagine doing anything like that with the public. Nah.
    All FORD All The Time

Nice!

I'm with you on the exhaust. I was not happy when I discovered that I couldn't fit the large-case Dynomax muffs I planned for the Crown Vic. But, I know I can make them work on my '05 MGM; and I have glasspacks to make it more-so quiet. I did the loud thing when I was a kid; I'm done with that.

So the 347 is in and alive. My first go-round with the Megasquirt PNP unit is all positive.
    It simply is plug and play, once the Box mounting differences are addressed.
    Despite the differences between Mustang and Crown Vic wiring and pins, the unit recognized and just adapted.
    My original O2 sensors were unplugged and the ends of the harness were wrapped in black tape and then heat shrunk and tucked. Nothing chopped.
    The O2 sensor provided with the PE wideband was wired to the provided plug at pin #21 I think(?) and once it was plugged in, all was good.
    The Tunerstudio program is way beyond what I expected in terms of control, and I have no doubt that once I get all Sherries bugs worked out, it will be ideal.
    Looking forward, I anticipate the addition of a period correct Paxton will not be a big change in programming.
    I'll find one new in the box from the early 90s somewhere and let it happen.
    After I get the tune straight and the car cleaned up, I'll post a bunch of pictures for your visual stimulation.
    All FORD All The Time

Update on my 347 transplant into Sherrie.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front view.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	57146

So far I'm pretty damn happy... Had garage beers with a good friend who convinced me to do the EGR delete. Once I get it running right...perfectly...I'll add it and see the difference.

Name:	Drivers view.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	57147

I'll be adding another secret snorkel. I had a vacuum leak that made the Megasquirt MAP think I was tapping the brake booster for a signal. Obviously I wasn't.
    Turned out after borrowing a friends smoke machine (if you haven't ever used one..they are the cats nuts!!) my line feeding the cruise control had a split in it. new line, no more leaky leak.

Name:	Pass View 2.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	997.6 KB 
ID:	57148

Took this one with the flash to show the headers and plug wires for everyone considering the BBK unequal length shorties.
    They come REALLY close to the heater box and made my insulation smoke.!!!! I made some gentle but firm adjustments to the box while it was warm and gained enough room to fix the problem. Aside from these dastardly things coming loose 3 times before they stayed tight..... I like them. I'd buy them and use them again.

My next update will be the 3G swap.

Now I've gotta clean up my parts pile. What should I do with a complete unhurt 1986 302 that has 91K miles on it..?
    All FORD All The Time

Find a box panther with a toast engine and swap it in and make it a daily.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Looks minty in there.

I second what David said. Could also be worth maybe $600? Less junk is better, unless you have nearly unlimited capacity.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Rebuild the short block and slap on some EBay aluminum heads; perhaps a B-cam; Comp Cam 274HR; or a Anderson N41; find a Ranger with a toasted 4.0 and swap it in?

How's that ported intake working? I have been curious about how they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    How's that ported intake working? I have been curious about how they perform.
    I've built a mutt kinda. The 347 by design and with my cam should be strong in the 2K to 5500 range. It is.
    I'll echo a sentiment I've read on here a hundred times.
    Nothing replaces the off idle grunt of the stock setup.
    I'm dialing in this Megasquirt a little more each day. I'm at 59 miles right now, so we're good and broke-in. I'll give a full opinion on the EGR explorer porting from Big Dogs and the whole experience after it's tuned more. I can't get it to just...launch. It falls on it's face 2 or 3 times from excessive lean...then goes like hell.
    the silverfox valve body and locking out OD makes this thing a weapon on the highway. YOWZA..
    More to follow.
    All FORD All The Time

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617