'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    A lot of these set ups are for drag racers where the car may run fine at wide open throttle but have poor drivability at low and mid throttle. Only way to know for sure is to do it. All cars act differently may get luckily.
    I'm the UNLUCKY poster child. Remember I said that.
    The W.O.T. was definitely the case with that Harley. I added a separate fuel circuit to the throttle body that it idled on...
    If you want to call it an idle...
    Last edited by clutch47; 01-16-2020, 01:31 PM.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

the Mark VII ECM is more available. Speed density, automatic, HO, 19#.

Speed density can work right, but its probably going to need a tune to do it. Stock, its very likely to run lean. I had less airflow through mine and it ran somewhere near 18:1. Honestly the single biggest reason people convert to mass air is that its less fiddly about changes. The other thing is that most of the Ford 5.0 tuning knowledge base is for Mustangs, which were all mass air from 89 on, and many 86-88 have been converted. If you can find someone who can actually do a tune with speed density you're good to go.

Megasquirt is speed density, so are many other aftermarket systems.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You may get some good info by talking to Ed Curtis at FTI. He does custom cams and should have some insight into what will work with SD and your setup. With 60cc heads on the stock LOPO pistons i'll wager your compression will be close to 10:1. I had to back timing off to quell pinging with mine and 62cc chambers, although i'll allow that AFR's have a better design than my Edelbrocks so it may not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
          You may get some good info by talking to Ed Curtis at FTI. He does custom cams and should have some insight into what will work with SD and your setup. With 60cc heads on the stock LOPO pistons i'll wager your compression will be close to 10:1. I had to back timing off to quell pinging with mine and 62cc chambers, although i'll allow that AFR's have a better design than my Edelbrocks so it may not be an issue.
          Appreciate that advice. My cars routinely burn 91 or better and compression is good. I'll keep a good eye on that.
          I'm still not convinced to go to the HO firing order. I have a great engine shop/cam grinder that I deal with so it will get a SD happy cam of some sort.
          So... do I have a LoPo 'on steroids' cam cut, or swap the computers and go with the HO/mustang plan.? As I've read, many people are fond of the '86 HO cam.
          HHHmmmm...
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

the HO firing order is better for the life of the bottom end bearings. The "Lopo knock" is a thing for a reason.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              the HO firing order is better for the life of the bottom end bearings. The "Lopo knock" is a thing for a reason.
              I'm not afraid of that.. What I am afraid of is the 'elephant' in the room so to speak.
              The LoPo has that little bit of LOW oomph that might be lost when the HO thing happens.
              I kinda like the LoPo manners. All I want is twice as much of it.
              Maybe this little top end and a switch from the 3.08 to the 3.73 would make me laugh even harder.?..
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

thats nothing to do with the firing order, its all about the camshaft. Stuff an Explorer cam in there if you want the same seat of the pants feel, but just more of it. Done for by about 4500, where the stock cam is done for about 4200. Basically the same power curve, just a little more of it.

Comment

thats nothing to do with the firing order, its all about the camshaft. Stuff an Explorer cam in there if you want the same seat of the pants feel, but just more of it. Done for by about 4500, where the stock cam is done for about 4200. Basically the same power curve, just a little more of it.
                  That could be an option...great idea.
                  Maybe my local cam grinder guy can give me the Explorer cam+++ or so..
                  I'll be seeing him later today, so seeing this post is right on time.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Do a LoPo 347 stroker for extra torque? Lol, that'd be something.

Comment

Trying to find a deal on a shortblock. I found a bare SVO 8.2 block rough bored to 4.080..for a song.
                      If this works out, my project will take a different direction. If I find a GOOD shortblock first, then I'll go that way.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Go with the Blue Print 5.0L short block you will need to use the H.O 5.0L fireing order and redo the wireing harness to make it compatable for the H.O 351 fireing order or get a Lincolin Mark VIII computer. Good luck

Comment

Found a shortblock. $100. Running '87 car. 266K miles. Damn thing has great oil pressure too..LOL...
                          Also found a set of Eagle rods new in the box for a hundie. So I'm going to go .060 over and use better rods. I'm sure I'll stumble on a deal for 60 over pistons somewhere. If the deal is on a set of forged ones, so be it. Here we go..
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Some of those late blocks aren't able to go that far. 40 over is typically the max that is safe unless you sonic check the walls to make sure they are thick enough. Honestly, boring it out the least you can go to make the holes round again is the right amount. The couple of cubic inches is not going to make any real difference. Mine is 20 over, but apparently thats a very difficult size to get anymore. 30 over is the usual.

Comment

Some of those late blocks aren't able to go that far. 40 over is typically the max that is safe unless you sonic check the walls to make sure they are thick enough. Honestly, boring it out the least you can go to make the holes round again is the right amount. The couple of cubic inches is not going to make any real difference. Mine is 20 over, but apparently thats a very difficult size to get anymore. 30 over is the usual.
                              I'll let my machinist guy tell me what's best. I think he sonic checks every block just for quality sake. I know he did my Cleveland to make sure the 'core shift' problem everyone clamors about wasn't going to be an issue. Thankfully there was none..
                              The .060 idea is a shot in the dark. I've been seeing an abundance of .060 piston sets in the classifieds. If I can save a few bucks by punching it further..So be it.
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

realistically none of us are likely to actually wear out a properly tuned rebuild on one of these things. Even if you're fanatical and decide to break it down at 100k, how many years is that going to take on something that isn't daily driven?

Comment

Working...
                                X