No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been a busy guy lately, but here's where I'm at.
    1/2" Phenolic spacer in the mail to Big Dogs porting to be matched to the stage 3 opening he has this intake opened up to.
    It's an inch and 3/4 hole for each port I believe. I'll measure and post a picture.
    Truly...SO FAR.. Tony at Big Dogs has been nothing but awesome. He's never once left me hanging on a message or failed to produce.
    With my engine configuration and torque cam, Tony's engine program gives the numbers of 340 hp@ 5200 and 380Tq @ 3800 at the wheels with a 15% loss factored in. Power under the curve.
    I'll probably never dyno the car on a chassis dyno and my butt dyno is out of cal.
    My target was HP above 3hundie and fun to drive, Double the power of the FoMoCo Original issue LoPo.
    Should work out well.

The balancing on the rotating assembly is done, machine work is done, and final assembly is happening a little every day.
    My engine sen-sei has been tending to the loss of his brother in law, So we were stalled for a while.
    All the parts are in order except injectors.
    Anybody got good info for me.? I'm thinking 40# or better if I can do it.
    Like I've stated here previously I've never done an EFI performance build, so... WEEEEEE here we go...…
    I'll probably upgrade the fuel pump at the same time as the 'LoPo out/347 in' happens.

I really did want to go through the pains of making the Speed Density computer work just to do it and learn from it.
    Aaaaaand that changed.
    It's Mega-Squirt for me.
    I've discussed this with ya'll for 2 years, and I'm done jacking with it. Plug and play has SERIOUS value.
    I'll throw a pix or two on soon to show ya'll where we are.....
    Last edited by clutch47; 02-08-2021, 04:01 PM.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Who's tuning Sherrie? It will be up to that person what kind of injectors should be used with what you got.

Comment

Simple fact is OE EFI parts are getting expensive, and its no long as cost-effective as it used to be. when you could get the ECM, the tuner, and the harness bit to do the mass air for a couple hundred bucks it made sense. Now, not so much.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          Who's tuning Sherrie? It will be up to that person what kind of injectors should be used with what you got.
          The DIY Tuning/Megasquirt guys will give me a couple go-rounds and tunes along with the PNP ECM purchase.
          I haven't reached out to them for injector advice YET.
          My only experience with tuning anything was helping a guy with a drag race Harley years ago. He ran Megasquirt. It worked.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Simple fact is OE EFI parts are getting expensive, and its no long as cost-effective as it used to be. when you could get the ECM, the tuner, and the harness bit to do the mass air for a couple hundred bucks it made sense. Now, not so much.
          I'm thinking down the road she might get some PSI with a supercharger of some kind so from what I've learned so far Speed Density apparently is 'better'. (?)
          I almost turned the corner to mass-air until I started adding up and comparing both.
          I think it'd be sweet to open the hood and find a late 80's/Early 90's vintage huffer under there.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

These were taken by Tony at Big Dogs porting.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Assembled 1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1288629

Name:	Assembled 2.jpeg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1288630

Name:	Assembled 3.jpeg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1288631

I took these the other day so you can see the bore size..

Name:	Lower ported.jpeg
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	1288632

Name:	1.75 inch bore.jpeg
Size:	799.8 KB
ID:	1288633

Name:	Lower PN.jpeg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1288634
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

He must be so used to doing this work for foxbodies that he has mocked up the intake the wrong way for you.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Probably.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

don't know enough about boost to know if there really is an advantage to speed-density vs mass air or not but I think you'd want to be able to monitor manifold pressure and Ford EEC-IV mass air doesn't do that. The MAP sensors can't read positive pressure.

In the old days there was a Kenne-Bell setup for Mustangs before they went mass air. This was also pre-ECM tuning. They had some complicated mess of check valves to make sure the MAP never saw boost, and since there was no way for the ECM know it was under boost, and not being able to meddle with the program anyway, it did fuel enrichment with some voodoo box that basically just jacked the fuel pressure up to get the effective flow rate needed to fuel a boosted 5.0. It worked but it was a heck of a complex work-around for the fact that the computer couldn't be touched and the sensors weren't designed for that kind of thing. The way the Turbocoupe worked was using a vane air meter, which was basically a mechanical mass air sensor. It looks like a toilet flap in the air box that moved based on how much air the engine sucked in. The flap was connected to more or less a fuel level sending unit, so as it moved it simply changed the output voltage. It was a big restriction in the air tube too since airflow had to overcome the spring pressure on the flap.

You wouldn't use any of that now, there are way better and easier ways of doing things. You'd simply use a MAP that won't blow up with positive pressure connected to an ECM you can tune and injectors that are big enough so they can feed the motor. You can also play with the timing and use manifold air temp as a variable for both timing and fuel control since you can determine air density by temperature.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^^^^^^Now I have a better understanding of why my friends hated EFI back in the day. And that was way after Fox bodies went MAF. I never asked my Jiffy Lube buddy who tuned his Mustang after the Lightning swap. I didn't know back then, that's what had to be done. As warm and deceptively fuzzy as those memories are; those were truly the Dark Ages.^^^^^^^

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    He must be so used to doing this work for foxbodies that he has mocked up the intake the wrong way for you.

Comment

I slept on my comment over night and this question came up...If the porter is port matching the upper to the lower is it critical for him to have it orientated properly? Same goes for flow numbers after the fact. Orientated differently may bring up different results as the ports he was matching up (lower ports to upper port) would not be the same once the intake is flipped. Or is this not an issue and not how porters do their work? Just curious.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        I slept on my comment over night and this question came up...If the porter is port matching the upper to the lower is it critical for him to have it orientated properly? Same goes for flow numbers after the fact. Orientated differently may bring up different results as the ports he was matching up (lower ports to upper port) would not be the same once the intake is flipped. Or is this not an issue and not how porters do their work? Just curious.
                        I really can't speak on that. I'm sure someone here has knowledge on this...
                        I can say that the upper fits perfectly both ways, and in looking at the junctions between both halves nothing speaks to me or looks like it wouldn't be the same either way. What I can tell you is in a very short time, we're sure as shit gonna find out!!
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Nice.

I must say the 86 intake plaque you have is one of my favorites. Great choice.
                          ~David~

Comment

If its being gasket matched it shouldn't matter. Thats the usual way porting is done just because you can lay the gasket on the surface and mark it out easily. Use the same gasket on both surfaces and you should end up with ports that align very well. I'd bet that the gaskets are going to be more even than the castings are, so any misalignment would be pretty minor.

Comment

In the middle of making an engine lift plate that bolts to both patterns of lower intakes. I'll put pix on when it's done.

So here's a couple shots of what came in the box with the Megasquirt PNP-2.
                              The place I ended up buying this unit from is in Oxford, PA called KP tuned https://kptuned.com/
                              Just to explain, you can buy right from DIY tuning/Megasquirt, or let them refer you to someone local.
                              OF COURSE I'd rather give my $$$ to a local (semi) business, so after speaking with Paul at length, here we are.
                              He's primarily a VW guy with years of tuning experience, and has done these 5.0 SEFI FORDs before.
                              #36 lb injectors were the choice, and all associated cables, vacuum line and even a thumb drive to get Sherrie going.
                              I've gotta get my short block picked up from the machine shop and rehearse all the associated vacuum lines and throttle/TV cable mounting prior to the install.
                              More pix coming soon.

Name:	36 lb injectors.jpeg
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	1288777

Name:	PNP in the box.jpeg
Size:	958.0 KB
ID:	1288778
                              All FORD All The Time