Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well fellas..
    I got nothin'.
    No leaks or oil anywhere. Unplugged low pressure switch, jumped the plug, compressor clutch engages.
    I put some vacuum on the blend door servo behind the glovebox and STILL got nothin'...
    Heat is mediocre at best.
    I'm gonna look locally for a shop to make this right.
    I had a stroke a couple years ago and between the double vision on my left side and a left hand that's not as smart as my right..
    I know my limits. I'm getting frustrated under the dash.
    I took the time to do a light compound on Sherries paint and then a follow up with some good Maguires carnauba and a terrycloth and microfiber polish.
    Literally 7 minutes in the sun beautifully shining and Pennsylrainya did her thing.
    Next is a tach and a couple gauges.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Soo.. I couldn't leave well enough alone.
      The blend door servo is working, but doen't seem to fully cycle.
      With the A/C low pressure switch jumped and the compressor running, the drier isn't getting cold.
      HHHmmm.. Bad compressor.?? It's still R-12. I'm betting it's dead empty.
      I gots no HVAC gauges.
      So would a bad compressor make this system go wonky and even provide warm heat.?
      Man oh man I'll be glad to have this up and running properly.
      Every other thing on this car is superb and I'm really enjoying it.
      I had a 93 Mark VIII that got run to a quarter million miles and ..
      I might like this car even better than that one.
      I appreciate your advice fellas.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Compressors usually make unhappy noise when they die - how did yours sound?

My money is on low/no charge as well, which means she’s got a leak somewhere. Look around the system and see if you see anything oily around the connections - that will be your leak spot(s). They sell o-ring kits for the whole system. I would personally replace them all, get a new accumulator and orfice tube, and get someone to vacuum down the system and see if she’ll hold it.

Without any A/C function, it’s going to blow fairly warm air at this time of year (at least where I live).
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Don't jump the compressor unless you've verified you've got an adequate amount of juice in the system. Quick way to burn up your compressor if the system is empty or under charged.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Compressors usually make unhappy noise when they die - how did yours sound?
            Considering my intent for the car is to be 99% of what it was new...and be ready for a road trip to wherever at any moment.. it didn't sound too hot.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

I ran it long enough to positive it wasn't doing anything. I think it's time for a total rebuild. Compressor, Dryer, Accumulator and whatever else I can find.
              If anybody reading this has any parts.. I'm gonna start a collection.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

just go to rock auto. I just picked up everything I need at a really reasonable price.

Condenser, compressor, drier, new hoses (3x), orifice tube. I chose to just flush out the evaporator, though that is available and too can be changed out.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My advice is to make sure you buy a NEW compressor. My '85 ate two reman units before I sold it in favor of my current '88. Went straight for new with that one and haven't had a problem.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Derek, you aren't the only person that has told me that. I've never re-built an A/C system before but I have spent quite a bit of time with 335 series FORD engines.
                    I'll get to learn something new here and get garage time in the process. Win/Win.!!
                    Thanks.
                    Once this is correct, I'll move on to bumpers. My front one is rotted through behind the tag mount.
                    I'd like to go with aluminum, but we'll see when it's time..
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

I would also suggest getting a new DENSO unit. I went through 2 "new" compressors in 4 years with my 93 but the Denso I put on there has lasted 3 years now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm learning more about A/C every day here. Apparently somebody else had their hands in the soup somewhere because there are 134 fittings on it. Sooo…
                        What do ya'll use to flush these parts.?
                        I'm going to try flushing out the condenser along with a new dryer and compressor.
                        I'll take your advice Sly. Thanks.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

I use AC flush and compressed air to force it through the coils. Comes in a metal can and is insanely harsh chemical. Eye protection, thick solvent resistant gloves, and a small funnel to help pour the stuff into the lines (I usually go through the bottom of the evap after pulling the orifice tube out and hold a rag/shop towel over the top exit with no dryer to catch the crap and just do my best not to spill a lot when putting it into the condenser).

If you get the AC flush on your skin it WILL burn. There should be no lasting effects if you get it cleaned off quickly, but it will hurt. Stuff flashes off quickly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well..
                            An old friend has a friend with an R-12 recharge/service unit and might have a line on refrigerant.
                            Worth converting it back.??
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

I wouldn’t. It will work ok if properly converted. If you go back to R12 and need a small top off you may be stuck paying a ton for a can of old stock R12
                              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                              Past Panthers
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

It will perform somewhat better but limited stock of refrigerant and all that to deal with makes it a less appealing choice for me. If the system is working properly and the coils are clean, it'll get cold enough with R134a. Make sure the fan clutch is good though, or an electric fan is a help. I've heard good things about using R152, which is the stuff in computer duster cans, but no personal experience with that. Apparently performance-wise its somewhere between R12 and R134a. If my stuff wasn't already converted and working I'd be tempted to try it.

Before buying parts I'd evaluate what is there. Do a pressure test first to see if its even got anything in the system. I can tell you that popping open a partly charged system will spray stinky oil all over, and you're not going to be having a fun time of it. Pull the orifice tube and inspect it. If its full of garbage, then you know something bad happened and the condenser is likely full of crap and the compressor may have blown up. If its not all nasty, put a new tube in, flush the condenser to get rid of any old congealed oil goo, put it together with a new drier and O rings on all the joints and go from there. Replacing the condenser with a more modern type of better efficiency isn't the worst idea if yours is leaky or clogged.

You can flush the evap or not, its your call. Honestly the chances of anything really being in there is small since it would get stopped by the orifice tube. The condenser is where things will end up. That one wants to be flushed small tube to big tube, which is opposite the normal flow direction.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X