No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks fellas. Forgive me for being a newbie to HVAC please. I'm just starting to grasp how my mini-split on my house works. LOL..
    Although the novelty of R-12 would be legit.. (I remember frost coming out of the vents on my 84 Capri...LOL.. man, do I miss that car)
    I think the 134 is probably the wisest choice.
    So do I need a special spring tool or extractor for the orifice tube and...where is it.?
    Anybody got a good part number for a compressor.? Rock auto shows nothing like I have and I want to buy a good one.
    I'm gonna dig into this again this weekend if I can get time.
    I think window switches are in my future too.. mine are intermittent. They are going to get cleaned up and lubed.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

The orifice tool can be rented from most parts places. I bought one as they're not that spendy and I've done enough jobs since to pay for it in saved gas trips to the parts store to rent one.

Here's the one I have. IIRC, the brass part on the right is the one to use with the Fords. Basically hook ir on the tube and then continue twisting it to help break the seals loose and pull it out.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the AC compressor... Looks like RA doesn't have any decent brands. Not sure you'll be able to get around this issue though. I'm not finding any denso versions of the FS6 compressor. I've had bad luck with Four Seasons in my Aero, but my 88 I think has a Four Seasons from AutoZone in it and didn't have any issues. So it might be worth rolling the dice on that, but you may want to get one locally to have a "lifetime warranty" (if available) and get free replacements down the road if it does die.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The tube is in the lower pipe of the evaporator, just inside the connector. Evap is the part in the dashboard. Unhook the line going there and you'll see it down inside.

I've debated buying an NOS FS6 compressor just as a backup but haven't quite pulled the trigger. I had a Four Seasons that went leaky on my Towncar in a couple years. The Motorcraft on it now sounds like a dying air raid siren but its been doing that for 7 or 8 years now. The old one on the Continental is very quiet, not completely sure of it's history but we suspect it may be the original from John's 1986 Vic.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Again, Thanks. I'm learning a whole lot about something I always wanted to know a little bit about.
          Over morning coffee JoeGoogle and I found this forum. https://www.autoacforum.com/messagev...threadid=14821
          The more I read about compressors and compare cost vs quality.. the sadder the situation becomes.
          I'm debating trying to adapt an FS-10 from a newer truck. There'll be a metric ton of them available for a long LONG time.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Given the choice of an FS6 or an FS10, I'll stick with the FS6. Not any less reliable and no nonsense to adapt it. If I were to adapt something else it would be a Sanden compressor, whatever that 7 cylinder swash plate one is. SD7 I think? I put one on my S10 to replace the junk GM compressor after that thing failed for the third time.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey ya'll,
              Haven't been here in about a week. Family/work/vacation...you know.
              So anyway. No A/C yet. Still haven't decided on the right compressor.
              Spent some time cleaning up the paint. It was full of trash.
              I've never tried a clay bar but I think I'm gonna.
              Any recommendations.?
              This was just a good scrubbing and some effort with my random orbital and some Zymol. I've been using that stuff a long time.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_185447[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1285512
              I did some digging online for a good vinyl top cleaner/conditioner.
              Went with Mothers VLR.
              I scrubbed the top with a soft brush and normal carwash soap.
              I applied this stuff 3 times and worked it in. I'm impressed. I'll do it twice more this season. Hope to keep this top nice.
              It's lifting on the bottom edge on the passenger side.
              I'll try to glue it down after I learn what works and how to do it.
              Thought I'd put a few shots of the exhaust on too, as there were questions after My friend Carl did it.
              I like it.

Name:	20190618_185212-1[1].jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1285513

Name:	20190618_185228-1[1].jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1285514

Next small project is mounting/wiring my tach..
              Then on to my other car project. 351C stroker into my '69 Mercury Montego convertible.
              Last edited by clutch47; 06-19-2019, 05:04 PM.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Looks good.

I recommend mothers clay bar.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I never used a clay bar before so this should be fun..LOL
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                    Soo.. I couldn't leave well enough alone.
                    The blend door servo is working, but doen't seem to fully cycle.
                    With the A/C low pressure switch jumped and the compressor running, the drier isn't getting cold.
                    HHHmmm.. Bad compressor.?? It's still R-12. I'm betting it's dead empty.
                    I gots no HVAC gauges.
                    So would a bad compressor make this system go wonky and even provide warm heat.?
                    Man oh man I'll be glad to have this up and running properly.
                    Every other thing on this car is superb and I'm really enjoying it.
                    I had a 93 Mark VIII that got run to a quarter million miles and ..
                    I might like this car even better than that one.
                    I appreciate your advice fellas.
                    A panther has no equal. Well, a GM B body is close but I don't want to be beat with a bar of soap in a tube sock.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Close indeed, but Ford was in the lead.

Having driven both a Caprice ('89) and multiple box Panthers GM just wasn't up to snuff. From the dumpier 200R4 and carb'd motors damn near right up until the bitter end their box stuff was definitely in the rear view by comparison. When they went roundy in '91 or whenever they got leaps and bounds better. At least in terms of powertrain (especially when the LT1 hit the scene) interior quality and exterior fit & finish. I wouldn't mind trying out a '95 or '96 LT1 powered Fleetwood...
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Happy Monday.
                        I think I'd sooner slam my hammer in a car door than own another GM.
                        I'd buy one only to re-sell.
                        I guess I have Blue Blood.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

I like them all. Starting to prefer their trucks over the Ford ones actually. I'd much rather gamble with optispark than Ford's multiple cam shafts and plastic timing chain guides amongst other things they did in the mid 90's.

I wouldn't mind trying a 94-96 F150 shortbox with a 351 and a five speed though. Seem to be as rare as hen's teeth compared to the Chevy stuff. Seems if you buy a GM truck from '88-'98ish it either has the 4.3 or 5.7. Fords are most often the straight six or the 5.0. Stickshift that is, I don't pay attention to automatics.

Comment

yeah, post-pushrod Ford trucks can suck an egg. Also they look like a lifted Taurus with a bed in the late 90s, ew.

I'm fine with GM trucks for the most part, but once they got into the "big manly man" trucks with too much BS I stopped liking them. That was probably circa 2003. Everyone else's trucks are too big too, so its not just a Chevy thing.

Comment

Yep, the only ones I might consider would be a 2000-2002ish stickshift Ford with the 4.2 V6 in it, still pushrod and a derivative of the 3.8 if I've got my info right.

Same here, full size morphed into jumbo size and I'm not interested in that.

Comment

I had a square body Chevy. 87. 4.3 4x4 with the 3speed and granny low. That truck rusted so fast you could hear it.
                                The rear end self destructed as most Chevy rears do. When I was rolling down the road minding my business and the fuel door fell off I said enough.
                                I've been in FORD trucks since with nary an issue. Current is an 03 SD 5.4 and mods... it works well.
                                I think one of the best commuter cars I had over the years was a Dodge Omni with the 2.2 and 5 speed.
                                I literally jumped that car every single day on my way to work. A perfect tabletop...and I'd even get a twist of the steering wheel before touching down for style.
                                She'd give me a couple feet of rubber in second without a flinch.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X