Wiper/Washer Switch Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiper/Washer Switch Assembly

Do these go bad often? Or does my car have wonky electrical issues? I ordered a replacement wiper/washer switch (which also has the emergency light button attached) after mine shorted out and won't turn off.

The MFS seems to always have been one of those items that is at the top of most folks suspect list. Given the amount of high(er) current devices running through it, its no surprise they go bad. I pulled apart the ignition switch from my 2008 to autopsy it, and it is pathetic how small the contacts are, and its readily obvious which one was arcing and causing me randomn no start issues.

Comment

not sure I recall any mention of wiper switch problems but like all things it can go bad.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Some of the ‘03+ cars get water intrusion into the wiper motor and it’ll cause them to go stupid. Worth checking if they’re acting up with a new switch.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The parking cams on the wiper motors can also wear out and cause it to either not shut off or not park correctly.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            Some of the ‘03+ cars get water intrusion into the wiper motor and it’ll cause them to go stupid. Worth checking if they’re acting up with a new switch.
            This
            https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...03#Post2771803
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yah, I just pulled the cover yesterday during my lunch break; and it was so full of debris that it wouldn't snap shut again. I spent 20 minutes this morning vacuuming that section out. I might pull the entire cover off over the weekend and try to get everything cleaned out.

Comment

LOL, I just killed the plastic cover trying to get it back on. It refused to line up with the snap-catches. After 20 minutes of manipulating it; I just pounded on it and broke the cover in half. I should have just let it remain loose and taped it until I got home and had time to fiddle with it. I have to go to the junkyard anyways for CV parts; I will add another plastic cover to that list.

Comment

Fixed. Took about an hour and a half; which includes running to AutoZone for a plastic trim puller set, plastic button-fasteners, and a hex-star socket (T-20) set. Pretty much unbolt the assembly, unplug it, plug in the new unit, bolt the assembly back into the steering column; and replace column cover and lower dash trim. It was surprisingly simple.

Comment

Bringing this thread/topic back from the dead. I might have a related problem. My window washer fluid pump goes off by itself on cold starts. I have to flick the wipers on and off to get it to stop. I never changed out the wiper motor because it works okay since I have been cleaning the wiper box regularly. It doesn't do it on warm starts though. I don't know if it's the wiper motor causing the washer fluid pump to go off; or if I have a short somewhere in the system? I recently had to change out the bushing on the column shift linkage. Don't remember touching the wiper switch/lever assembly when doing that.

Comment

Check the grounds on the wiper motor and under the dash. Sounds like some floating voltage BS.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X