PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Wiper/Washer Switch Assembly

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Question Wiper/Washer Switch Assembly

Do these go bad often? Or does my car have wonky electrical issues? I ordered a replacement wiper/washer switch (which also has the emergency light button attached) after mine shorted out and won't turn off.

The MFS seems to always have been one of those items that is at the top of most folks suspect list. Given the amount of high(er) current devices running through it, its no surprise they go bad. I pulled apart the ignition switch from my 2008 to autopsy it, and it is pathetic how small the contacts are, and its readily obvious which one was arcing and causing me randomn no start issues.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

not sure I recall any mention of wiper switch problems but like all things it can go bad.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Some of the ‘03+ cars get water intrusion into the wiper motor and it’ll cause them to go stupid. Worth checking if they’re acting up with a new switch.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The parking cams on the wiper motors can also wear out and cause it to either not shut off or not park correctly.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Some of the ‘03+ cars get water intrusion into the wiper motor and it’ll cause them to go stupid. Worth checking if they’re acting up with a new switch.
    This
    https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...03#Post2771803
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Yah, I just pulled the cover yesterday during my lunch break; and it was so full of debris that it wouldn't snap shut again. I spent 20 minutes this morning vacuuming that section out. I might pull the entire cover off over the weekend and try to get everything cleaned out.

LOL, I just killed the plastic cover trying to get it back on. It refused to line up with the snap-catches. After 20 minutes of manipulating it; I just pounded on it and broke the cover in half. I should have just let it remain loose and taped it until I got home and had time to fiddle with it. I have to go to the junkyard anyways for CV parts; I will add another plastic cover to that list.

Fixed. Took about an hour and a half; which includes running to AutoZone for a plastic trim puller set, plastic button-fasteners, and a hex-star socket (T-20) set. Pretty much unbolt the assembly, unplug it, plug in the new unit, bolt the assembly back into the steering column; and replace column cover and lower dash trim. It was surprisingly simple.