brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake upgrade

What do i need to get to do the big brake upgrade on the 85 ltd crown vic? Id like to keep using my 15" turbine wheels if its possible, thanks for the help!

The 98-02 brakes require a 16" wheel. Best you can do with 15" are 95-97 brakes. They are somewhat larger than stock.

Basically
    stock lower arm
    95-02 lower ball joint
    95-02 spindle
    95-97 bearing
    95-97 rotor
    95-97 caliper
    95-97 caliper bracket
    95-97 hose (this might beb 95-02, don't recall)
    bubble to flare adapter to connect this hose to the stock hard lines on the car
    92-02 upper ball joint
    92-94 upper arm is the easier, but you can use a 95-02 arm if you take apart the stock one to get the shaft out, and install that in the later arm.

add new control arm bushings, shocks, springs as you see fit. Personally I wouldn't get this deep in the front end without replacing at least the bushings but your call. Now is also the time to do motor mounts if you need them. Access to the mount bolts is much easier with the control arms out.
    Also worth considering updating the booster to the later style. I'd hold off on changing the prop valve unless you convert the rear to disc. The valving is not the same disc/disc vs disc/drum.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Only things to add are:

-Hoses are specific to 95-97, or 98-02 (the 98-02 have a metal length at the caliper end while 95-97 do not), but either way both will require a metric bubble flare fitting on the brake line = use an adapter as mentioned

-There are boxes, with drum brakes, with the newer master, with no frame-mounted valve, so there is a drum brake version of the valve on the master. If you want to get rid of the valve on the frame there is a way to do it by replacing the master cylinder. But it isn't necessary in any way.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
        X