This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not far at all, I'm in Shelby Township.

Yes, breaking is very likely with the ones I have as well.

I own two more retired cars I can get clips from, but those cars don't reside where I do (hour north from me). I also doubt I will use the clips I have any time in the next decade.
    Do you hit any of the local junk yards? There was a '90 MGM at USAuto on 18+1/2 in Sterling Heights (between Mound and Van Dyke if you're not familiar with the place) when I was there last week.
    U-Pull and Save in Pontiac didn't have the correct year boxes with those clips last time I was there a few weeks ago.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I have 11 of the "new prints" and 4 originals in good shape.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        Not far at all, I'm in Shelby Township.

Yes, breaking is very likely with the ones I have as well.

I own two more retired cars I can get clips from, but those cars don't reside where I do (hour north from me). I also doubt I will use the clips I have any time in the next decade.
        Do you hit any of the local junk yards? There was a '90 MGM at USAuto on 18+1/2 in Sterling Heights (between Mound and Van Dyke if you're not familiar with the place) when I was there last week.
        U-Pull and Save in Pontiac didn't have the correct year boxes with those clips last time I was there a few weeks ago.

HAHAHA. I just noticed what your side bar location saids! Hello fellow Michigander! I did contact a couple junk yards, but mostly the local ones near me or my folks up north. They wanted to sell me the entire door!

Comment

We have a good number of members in the Detroit/Windsor area. We've held a few small meets but haven't since fall of 2019 due to Covid and border to Canada being closed.

I found 7 clips, I'm not sure where the rest went but I know I have more than 7. I highly doubt I'll find them any time soon though. Send me a PM if you're interested. Just checked online inventory in the local yards and none seem to have the correct year/model. US Auto cycles their inventory a bit quick in my opinion.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            We have a good number of members in the Detroit/Windsor area. We've held a few small meets but haven't since fall of 2019 due to Covid and border to Canada being closed.

I found 7 clips, I'm not sure where the rest went but I know I have more than 7. I highly doubt I'll find them any time soon though. Send me a PM if you're interested. Just checked online inventory in the local yards and none seem to have the correct year/model. US Auto cycles their inventory a bit quick in my opinion.
            Hey VicCrownVic,

I PM`ed you, but my messages are not going in to the sent folder - so I have NO idea if they are actually being sent. I am intersted in the 7 you have! That would allow me to get this trim piece back on without double sided tape!

I will have to pay more attention about meet ups because I would love to bring this old girl to a meet up. I plan on taking her to Cars and Coffee like I have in the past to M1 Concourse in Pontiac, MI. I believe the next meet up there is May 22nd.

Its always fun to have under 12 year olds stop and look at the big old boat when there is a 50k or greater valued car that will easily smash it in a quarter mile right next door - look at your car!

Thanks for your help everyone!
            Kyle

Comment

Right. New users must manually set the setting. Click settings at top, then click General Settings in the left menu. Scroll down to Private Messaging and the last setting in that section is save or don't save sent message. make sure save is marked and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Right. New users must manually set the setting. Click settings at top, then click General Settings in the left menu. Scroll down to Private Messaging and the last setting in that section is save or don't save sent message. make sure save is marked and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes.

That makes sense. Probably saves a boat load in storage for the hosting. As long as the message sent - that's all I care about, lol. Once I get the trim and her first wax. I will post before and after photos of my old girl. Figured I will "complete" her before doing a full show and tell. *I will start a new thread for that, obviously.

Comment

We can definitely work something out. 7 will get you further than none.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Cad file in hand. Used Freecad to fix some internal duplication on the file and clean up the mesh.
                    File is HUGE - 67MB. If you want to try to work with it, leech here: http://www.grandmarq.net/sly/Trim%20...0-%20fixed.stl

If anyone wants to try to clean this up for printing (flat faces and the like) have at it. But we now have a base scan to work with. Also, this STL file should be able to be printed at any local 3D printer house but may require 100+ unit prints depending on the company. Lower prints are more expensive per unit, obviously. Resin printer should have zero problems printing this thing. Anyhoo... have fun folks.

Comment

Nice!
                      I'm interested in messing with this, I'll download when I get home.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

First print attempt using "eco-abs". Looks workable. Would prefer nylon, but pretty sure nylon won't have the definition on this printer since it won't do as fine of movements and requires more heat. Trying to get freecad to turn the mesh into a shape right now. Single threaded process is slow. Anyhoo... pics...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_171257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1288977 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_133110.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1288978 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_171322.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1288979

Comment

Printed it flat with the spring legs flat on the printing surface and all the support structure under the face of the clip. This one came out better.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_155834.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1288987 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_155905.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1288988

I'm also trying to get freecad to mesh to shape this thing so I can possibly save it in a much smaller file. It's a single threaded process though and is taking forever. over 24 hours so far and counting. If someone has access to solidworks or autocad and can use their mesh to part converters, I'm sure they would be MUCH faster.
                          Last edited by sly; 05-06-2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I haven't done anything with CAD in about 15 years and that was an introductory course with Unigraphics (now Siemens NX).
                            ComputerFreek seems to have some connections that may pan out. We'll see what and his contact comes up with.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Freecad is still working on the one transform. There's just too much data for a single threaded process I think.

Comment

I did install Freecad and opened the file, but that's as far as I went.
                                I was looking for some other parts (which I eventually found) in my mess of stuff and found the rest of my stash of these clips. I have 13 all in good shape (as good as JY pulled parts get anyway.)
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X