Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Ignition Cylinder (snapped key)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Ignition Cylinder (snapped key)

Hello all, the key (and only key) snapped off inside the ignition while in the off position. 1. Can the cylinder still be popped out? 2. Is changing the cylinder a nightmare IE does the whole column need to be disassembled? 3. Rockauto has like seven different cylinders listed, any recommendations, it lists two different Motorcraft styles. And yes I realize ill have to purchase new door lock cylinder as well. Thanks for any tips.

1991 LTD Crown Victoria

I don't know about your particular vehicle, but for the sake of giving you something to think about before others chime in, it's probably a matter of only removing the cover on the steering column and pressing a button to get the cylinder to slide out. It might become self-evident once the cover is removed.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

You don't even have to remove the cover! There is a small hole that you can access the pin with an ice pick. The problem is you have to have the ignition switch in the run position, Hopefully the OP can use a screwdriver to turn the switch on. WagonMan.
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

ugh that's what I was afraid of...

Comment

So 1991 had one key for doors and ignition? Police model thing perhaps? I also dont know the specifics of the vehicle in question which does not help getting correct answers.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm guessing the broken part of the key is still in the cylinder, so wouldn't that be enough to get the cylinder to turn to the run position? If it's only partly in, what about using thin needlenose pliers to try to grab the end of it? Or otherwise push it in enough to be able to turn the cylinder? If you can get the broken piece out, you could try checking to see if that would be enough to get a copy cut.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Can the ignition lock cylinder be turned with the broken piece of key in it, or can the rest of the key be inserted to form a full key to get it to turn?
              As long as you can get it to turn it can be removed as WagonMan described. (We're talking about the '91 LTD CV in your signature, right?)

The question I have is why did it break? If it was really hard to get it to the off position you may have a shift tube bushing that has slid out of place. The bushing slides and blocks the lock mechanism ('90+ only). Messing with the shifter a bit while turning it to off can eventually move the bushing to a position that better allows the lock mechanism to engage. Replacing the shift tube bushings is not terribly difficult either. Heater core replacement driver side steps 1 + 7-10: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post741980, then t35(?) Torx to remove the bushing caps(?).
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks guys. The car in my sig is an ‘87. The ‘91 is at the bodyshop as a police car resto and I snapped the key off today when I went by to get a couple things done. I’ll take a look tomorrow to see if I can turn it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Comment

I think there is actually an instruction in the shop manual for getting the cylinder out when the key won't turn, but its kind of destructive. I want to say it has you destroy some part, then you can get the cylinder out as well as the piece of column it sits in. That might only be in the older style column though. Absolute worst case, you can change the column.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, I thought this was your signature, I see now that it is part of the original post. I couldn't tell on my phone screen.

Originally posted by Hill185 View Post

1991 LTD Crown Victoria
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

If your car is a police model, doesn't your trunk open by the button on the dash or in the glovebox ? Should not need the key on with the police model. If your locks use the same key, pull out the trunk lock, take it to the locksmith, have new keys made. Agree with the above posts too.
                      If you get a new ignition switch, you can take it to the locksmith and have it re-keyed to match the others. If you get the old switch out and it is not damaged, take it also to the locksmith and have the broken key pulled out. I find it a pain to have two types of keys especially when two locks are cut from the square mold and not the square and round mold, like the civilian cars.

Comment

Got the other half of the key out of the ignition and brought the broken key to a locksmith. He was able to fashion another ignition key thank goodness.

To answer your question, this car actually has a separate key for the trunk. I can only assume the trunk or lock was replaced at some point. My ‘87 P72 only has one key.

Comment

Most CV's the door and ignition key is the same on a regular CV to a cop P72 I know this for a fact my car is a P73 and the key does both jobs that is until I replaced the switch with a new key due to the key was not staying in the switch while my car was running totaly unsafe.

Comment

I never cared for the Ford keying method. One key for ignition, and one for all other locks. Lincoln's method makes more sense IMO. Square key does the door and ignition, round does the trunk and glove box. Its basically for valet service, you leave the square key so they can move the car but not get into your stuff. Assuming you lock the glovebox of course, the trunk release is inside. My Conti is keyed like a Ford for reasons I do not understand.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When a police car is ordered there is an option for the single key for all locks. Many departments order that. Part of that reason is officer safety and people misplacing keys. Some departments key all their cars the same. I think keying all cars the same is really stupid.
                              Hill185, Glad that the key issue is solved. Hopefully you had a couple spares made.

Comment

Working...
                              X