Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Ignition Cylinder (snapped key)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    I never cared for the Ford keying method. One key for ignition, and one for all other locks. Lincoln's method makes more sense IMO. Square key does the door and ignition, round does the trunk and glove box. Its basically for valet service, you leave the square key so they can move the car but not get into your stuff. Assuming you lock the glovebox of course, the trunk release is inside. My Conti is keyed like a Ford for reasons I do not understand.
    The Lincoln style you mention is exactly how my '78 is. Square key for doors and ignition. Round key is for the trunk. I guess once the panthers came about Ford decided that they should have one key for locks/trunk and one for ignition like I've noticed 80s GMs do as well. I replaced the trunk lock on my Olds and now I have three keys. One for the ignition, one for the doors and one for the trunk.... ugh.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

They changed it in '90 and went to one [square] key for ignition and doors and one (round) key for trunk and glovebox.

edit: This is for civi cars. The police cars could probably still be ordered special like Mainemaintom mentioned.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-27-2019, 08:33 AM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yep both my '90s had the square key for doors/ignition and the roundy for trunk/glovebox.

Comment

Later on they went to a single key. They provided a valet key (won't work the Trunk & Glove) for limited access. How many people still have the valet key, not many.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I think single key started around 1995. I've seen early Aeros with the two key system.

I've still got the valet key for the '97. It's just legitimately a little thicker than the normal keys and won't go into the glove box lock or trunk lock cylinders.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Can verify the early aero part. My 93 has the round key for the trunk.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                I think single key started around 1995. I've seen early Aeros with the two key system.
                It was partway through '96 when they switched to the 8-bit single-key system on Panthers.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Working...
                X