how many start cycles before a check engine code clears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many start cycles before a check engine code clears

I know there is not enough info in the heading.

When I start a car after seasonal storage, in this case the Marauder, I disable the fuel so I can crank it a bit to get the oil flowing. So when I do that it can set a check engine light. No problem usually as I usually disco the battery briefly, clearing the code before starting the car. I forgot to do the disco so I have a check engine light but do not want to clear everything as I need to get an OBDII state emissions inspection before starting some work on the car.

I know a code that is no longer valid will clear itself after numerous start cycles but I can't remember how many that is.

Also I can't remember if I can get the sticker with a check engine light but ok self tests on emissions.

This is not really a big deal but it bugs me that I have forgotten this piece of info.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

This might help (from Googling "2003 MY OBD System Operation"):

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo...t/obdsm307.pdf

I just went through it quickly and didn't see an obvious answer to your specific query, but you might have better luck. The last bit on page 91 suggests you might need to put gas in if you're low on gas.
    Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-26-2019, 02:02 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Have you verified that there aren't any active codes? Maybe it is indeed pissed at something.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

There were no active codes. It set a code because I disconnected the fuel impact switch. I cleared the codes so am starting the inspection monitors again.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

about 8 temp cycles IIRC. This means up to operating temp and run there for 5-10 minutes at least. Then cool down to open loop state.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The ECM needs to see the same conditions 3 consecutive times to prove out a check engine light.
            I had an EGR valve fail on my 98 Grand Marquis. (Stuck open) It took about 3 drive cycles to turn the light out itself. Or you could just clear the codes and drive the damn thing. You can get all of the readiness monitors set in one good drive cycle if you're slick. Hardest thing to set is the EVAP monitor. But that's just a matter of having the gas tank between 3/4 and 1/4 full, decelerating from 55-20 without brakes being applied. Doing that a couple of times on one drive cycle will set that monitor.

Comment

I wanted to get it inspected before the weekend/end of the month. Mostly because the fellow who typically does my inspections is like the Soup Nazi. If you bring a car in on the last or first day of the month he really hates that. Normally he was a personable guy, good conversation, no chop busting & prompt service. Turns out I didn't need to be concerned as he passed two weeks ago. RIP
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
              X