PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: how many start cycles before a check engine code clears

I post a lot...

Default how many start cycles before a check engine code clears

I know there is not enough info in the heading.

When I start a car after seasonal storage, in this case the Marauder, I disable the fuel so I can crank it a bit to get the oil flowing. So when I do that it can set a check engine light. No problem usually as I usually disco the battery briefly, clearing the code before starting the car. I forgot to do the disco so I have a check engine light but do not want to clear everything as I need to get an OBDII state emissions inspection before starting some work on the car.

I know a code that is no longer valid will clear itself after numerous start cycles but I can't remember how many that is.

Also I can't remember if I can get the sticker with a check engine light but ok self tests on emissions.

This is not really a big deal but it bugs me that I have forgotten this piece of info.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

This might help (from Googling "2003 MY OBD System Operation"):

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo...t/obdsm307.pdf

I just went through it quickly and didn't see an obvious answer to your specific query, but you might have better luck. The last bit on page 91 suggests you might need to put gas in if you're low on gas.
    Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-26-2019 at 03:02 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

Have you verified that there aren't any active codes? Maybe it is indeed pissed at something.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I post a lot...

There were no active codes. It set a code because I disconnected the fuel impact switch. I cleared the codes so am starting the inspection monitors again.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

about 8 temp cycles IIRC. This means up to operating temp and run there for 5-10 minutes at least. Then cool down to open loop state.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

The ECM needs to see the same conditions 3 consecutive times to prove out a check engine light.
    I had an EGR valve fail on my 98 Grand Marquis. (Stuck open) It took about 3 drive cycles to turn the light out itself. Or you could just clear the codes and drive the damn thing. You can get all of the readiness monitors set in one good drive cycle if you're slick. Hardest thing to set is the EVAP monitor. But that's just a matter of having the gas tank between 3/4 and 1/4 full, decelerating from 55-20 without brakes being applied. Doing that a couple of times on one drive cycle will set that monitor.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

I post a lot...

I wanted to get it inspected before the weekend/end of the month. Mostly because the fellow who typically does my inspections is like the Soup Nazi. If you bring a car in on the last or first day of the month he really hates that. Normally he was a personable guy, good conversation, no chop busting & prompt service. Turns out I didn't need to be concerned as he passed two weeks ago. RIP
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow