Adding power trunk release to 91'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding power trunk release to 91'

Looking for some assistance adding power trunk release to a 91'. I believe it's prewired for it because I see there is a wiring harness inside the trunk lid running to a bracket near the latch. What does that attach to? Should there be an actuator mounted somewhere? Anyone have pics?

That harness also has the license plate illumination power in it (I assume CV is the same setup as MGM). If the car was not optioned with power trunk release I suppose it's possible that the existing harness only has the illumination power. If that is the case it's not terribly difficult to swap the harness. I had swap it on my MGM when the original somehow got pinched to the point of wire insulation and caused the trunk to open on it's own one day.
    That harness should plug in to a connector to the left (facing the front of the car) of the driver side trunk lid arm.

The actuator will be mounted to the trunk lid. If the mount points aren't already there, I would imagine there would at least be dimples in the sheet metal indicating where they should be.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Pretty sure I have the correct harness in the trunk attached to a dummy bracket where the actuator would normally mount. What kind of actuator does it take? Same as the doors or is there a specific one for the trunk? What about other hardware?

Comment

In my stash of parts I have this trunk latch, Possibly from an 87 GM. What car are you specificity working on? WagonMan
        Attached Files
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
          In my stash of parts I have this trunk latch, Possibly from an 87 GM. What car are you specificity working on? WagonMan
          I am putting 91' Vic trunk lid on 85' Marquis. If Vic latch is same as Marquis I will just swap it from my old trunk lid and call it a day.

Comment

What Wagonman posted is what you need. If the same one is used on the CV and MGM then swapping will work. If not, it should be pretty easy to find a CV unit in Detroit and have someone on that side of the border send or deliver it to you.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Checked my Marq actuator tonight and it's definitely different. If anyone has 88-91 Vic one let me know.

Comment

Working...
              X