A/C died on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C died on me

I was on the way home in my '97 Lincoln Town Car and of course with a load or refrigerated groceries and a hot day, my A/C (which worked halfway home) crapped out.

The Cold air that came out phased out and cool/warm air phased in. I tried to do the EATC test and no codes came up, but I still reset it. And when turned the AC on, the clutch did not kick in. And I switched relays for the A/C cutoff and still no dice.

Two things I would like to bring up here (whether it may contribute to the problem:

1) For the longest time every time I turned on the HVAC (whether it be auto, A/C, heat) I would hear a sound that sounded like a clicking grinding sound that would go away in a second or two. I would assume that is the compressor (which I kind of new perhaps the compressor was on its way out)

2) The day or two before the A/C crapped out every time the A/C was on (or auto setting) I smelled a weird chemical smell. As best I can put it, it smells like new car smell and burning electronic. I thought it was the smells outside.

Anybody has any ideas, sure would appreciate it.
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Bypass the low pressure cutoff switch. Can't leave it that way.

If the compressor runs it narrows down the issues.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I remember when my ‘97 went out, I got a refrigerant smell and then I had fast cycling of the clutch. Figured the system was low and added some of that A/C Pro, then realized the clutch wasn’t cycling normally after that, it stayed on and sounded freaky at 2K. Air still got cold, but the compressor sounded like crap.

Had it checked, compressor internals decided to let go. Replaced compressor, orifice tube, and accumulator. Flushed evaporator and condenser. Then had the system vacuumed down and it’s been good since.

I’d verify line pressure and see if the system didn’t decide to vent itself.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        Bypass the low pressure cutoff switch. Can't leave it that way.

If the compressor runs it narrows down the issues.
        How would you bypass the low cutoff switch?
        And obviously it the compressor runs with that done, than its not the compressor

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You pull it’s plug and short the wires with a paper clip.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

But only for a quick check. Watch the compressor while you do this and just let it spin for a second.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If the compressor runs with the pressure switch bypassed, it only means the pressure switch is making it not run. It does not mean that the switch is bad, it could mean you have no refrigerant. Do not do this without making sure there is a charge in the system.

I said this elsewhere, but verify you have power to that switch first. Losing voltage into the switch might mean the EATC unit is the problem. It happens on this era. Usually can be fixed by re-soldering some connections but diagnose it first. A test light is more useful here than a voltmeter.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you just put the metal probes into the harness contacts?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

unplug the connector and probe into that. If your probes are larger than the contacts in the connector, use some smaller gauge wire or paperclips to poke in there. Don't pierce the wires.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just some amplification to Gadget. If you are checking for voltage and using a meter the hot probe goes into harness contacts neg probe to battery terminal or other known good ground. If using a test light doesn't matter which wire goes where. One contact should be hot with car on and ac switched on.

Also iirc engine does not need to be running to bypass switch. Just ignition in on position with AC on. The clutch should engage.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Engine not running might have the WOT relay engaged so the compressor isn't spinning on the starter. Not honestly sure there. A test light is probably the better tool for this. You need to verify the circuit can handle some current, and meters just don't put enough load on to always tell the tale. Mine is a lamp socket with one of those wedge base bulbs in it. Nothing fancy, just some junk I had laying around.

Comment

Bring it to me for diag. Before you burn the car down

Comment

I can bring some dirty diesel fuel to help with that. I'm sure I have some from the last fuel filter change I did.

Comment

Gadget,

with the key turned onto the accessory position (car not running), i unplugged the wire harness on top of the compressor to test for voltage, but realized the probes might be too big. Like you said, I will have to use smaller gauge wiring to get in there

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X