Wtb: marquis 140 speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wtb: marquis 140 speedometer

I want to buy a mercury marquis 140 speedometer PayPal ready. Or does anyone know what year they came in. I need one ASAP I didn’t even know they existed picture was taken by Grand Marquis Gt if y’all know where there’s one at let me know.
    Attached Files

Based on everything I've seen around here, those speedometers are believed to have come in Marquis models between '80-'82. Of course, who knows how many police package Mercurys actually made it out and how many still exist at this point.

Fun fact about these, there's an early and late style. Your picture shows the late style.

Here's an early one:

Earlier models have the triangular turn signal indicators versus arrows, a counter-weighted fuel gauge with a wider sweep, a smaller hi-beam indicator with no pictogram, and text based warning lamps (different positions too). It also appears the shift indicators have a sleeve over them for AOD cars vs SelectShift cars. That might be a '80 only thing though.

I won't lie, I certainly opened mine up to ensure everything was good inside and needed to make a small adjustment to the gas gauge since it was contacting the hash area, so I got to really look at the differences between the later cluster setups and early models.

The real issue you'll run into is 1.) Availability, and 2.) Cost. I didn't get mine cheap, to be fair, but they're not easy to come by.

Not trying to derail, just rambling. Best of luck in your search.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

+1
      Extremely rare. Everything KW said matches what I've read about them.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

May want to check out https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/

They can probably convert to whatever speed you’d like. Then you could have a 200mph one...

I think the easiest (cheapest?) way would be a get a Canadian version and have them convert to MPH. They are like 110ish MPH... which is about all I’d ever really want to do in a box.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

a member here had two of them.
          he sold one to tom.
          these are unobtanium. i think it was minnesota that used the grand marquis police car for 2 years.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            a member here had two of them.
            he sold one to tom.
            these are unobtanium. i think it was minnesota that used the grand marquis police car for 2 years.
            Here in Texas 70mph is the speed limits but most people drive 85 on the highway since Texas is so big. i think this is like 95 mph haha. I really don’t need 140 but 100 or 120 would do just fine. Also my suspension is fully rebuilt so I some what trust it. What’s the difference from the Canadian version. I need to look in to that
            https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp
            Attached Files

Comment

Canadian clusters read like 180 KPH or roughly 110 MPH. IIRC, there's also a yellow stripe that starts after 120 KPH that goes to the end of the gauge. Essentially you'll just have MPH in the minor range.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                Canadian clusters read like 180 KPH or roughly 110 MPH. IIRC, there's also a yellow stripe that starts after 120 KPH that goes to the end of the gauge. Essentially you'll just have MPH in the minor range.
                Do you have any pictures of how it looks

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                  Do you have any pictures of how it looks
                  This is a 1983 non-police Canadian cluster:

As you can see, it goes to 180km/h (about 110mph), but the main unit is km/h.
                  Last edited by kishy; 07-07-2019, 12:01 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                    This is a 1983 non-police Canadian cluster:

As you can see, it goes to 180km/h (about 110mph), but the main unit is km/h.
                    I can’t see any pictures
                    Edit
                    That looks so freaking bad ass
                    Last edited by Elias; 07-07-2019, 01:56 AM.

Comment

If anyone has one please dm me or know how has one let me know price I really want one.

Comment

Just a reminder that the odometer measures in kilometers not miles. Could probably be changed over.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

i assume you are after the 140 speedo specifically and not the 85?
                          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                            i assume you are after the 140 speedo specifically and not the 85?
                            Yes the 145

Comment

Working...
                            X