dorman 31000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dorman 31000

Does any one have any photos of the rag joint being assembled, im not sure where each bolt goes, thanks

any one ever use this? https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/la...g+coupler,7418

Comment

Oof, I wish I actually took pictures using the Dorman unit when I assembled it onto the '87.

You're essentially making it look similar to how it came off the car. It'll be really obvious if something has gone on wrong, things will contact each other wrong. There's a shield that shouldn't contact any of the hardware that holds the splined unit to the joint. It is possible to put that on wrong, but then nothing lines up. Also, there's little retainer tabs that don't quite meet perfectly with our hardware, but it all works when tightened down.

This is the only picture I have of the unit assembled on the car.

Excuse the garbage MS Paint deal, but I tried to set it up from memory how it should look assembled and where the hardware goes.

You should also have two metal tabs from the riveted pieces that held the splined portion to the joint. You need to remove those from the old rivet units and place them on the new hardware for positions one and two. They go on the backside. You can see one in the installed picture on the very top. When you assemble number 2, you may need to hold the stud in place with vice grips. That stud is splined, but for whatever reason, it does not bite into the disc in any meaningful way for tightening. Essentially once you have the splined portion installed, you're ready to install the joint to the shaft. Just use the two regular bolts and nuts, just don't forget to install the metal shield, it'll be fitted at the bottom.

I know the Dorman instructions aren't super handy and seem to be old reprints, since some of the hardware had changed when I did mine.

As far as the Lares unit, I can't comment. I'm sure it would be faster, but the Dorman unit is cheap and simple-ish enough to do. The longest part using the Dorman unit will either be 1.) Getting the shaft off the gear box (rust belt folks), or 2.) Drilling all the rivets out. I did all the drilling in car with a corded power drilled and some assorted drill bits. I recommend drilling the rivets that hold the joint to the shaft out first, then you can do the rest of the work out of the car if you don't remove the whole shaft. A good idea would to keep the column unlocked so you can rotate the shaft and not put weird loads on the steering lock while drilling.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

i had already removed the shaft from the car and drilled out all the rivets, then i got to the point of reassembling with the dorman kit and i was unsure of getting the hardware in the correct location, thanks for the detailed reply.

Comment

Working...
        X