Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofitting electronic level control possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofitting electronic level control possible?

Hello,

after mounting a tow hitch on my TC I was thinking of installing a pair of high jackers. During my google search I discovered there was a optional level control and I felt instantly in love with the idea to retrofit.
    Does somebody did this before?

Here is what i got at the moment:

Wiring plans out of the workshop manual:

I found some part numbers on eBay but I'm missing the number for the compressor itself and the shock absorbers (maybe use of high jackers possible?)

:: Air Suspension Control Module E6AC-5K860-AA from TOKICO
    :: Rear Suspension Ride Height Sensor E9VC-5A955-AA TOKICO

Biggest problem are the wiring harness + tubing.

Maybe someone has some further Information.

Greetings from Austria,

Gerald
    1988 Lincoln Town Car
    1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

I'm a big fan of the Gabriel HiJackers (I have 49205 on the rear of The Ice Car) and would love to retrofit the optional system you're talking about. I'm not familiar with it, but from what I gather it's pretty simple.

If I understand the system correctly, you basically need to power the pump, hook up the sensor, and run the air line(s). Adjust the sensor as needed and that's about it. I wouldn't be surprised if your TC already has all the necessary electrical connections needed.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Very easy to do. Best way is to find a donor car. IIRC a friend and I did the removal and swap over in an afternoon.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

No reason it won't work. You just need the adapters to tie into the shocks. Its not particularly complicated, one control box, one height sensor, a compressor, an air line, and some wiring. In 86 all of that was in the trunk. 87 onward the compressor was up front and the rest was in the trunk. The 1986 compressor is a unique item with goofy mounting, so I'd probably avoid that just because of parts availability. The pump in my 86 was actually built from a couple of used ones using some of the original pieces just to get the physical mounts I need.

I've had both the Monroe and the Gabriel shocks though, and frankly I think they both suck. The Gabriels blew their guts out after a couple of years and the air bladder was just full of oil. The Monroes made the car feel like a dump truck. At some point I would like to fit air helper springs inside the coils so I can run any shocks I want. Right now the system is just disabled by pulling the relay and I'm running old Motorcraft rear shocks.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I run the Monroes, don't feel the thing rides like a dump truck. I imagine if it was heavily loaded with large Americans and their cargo it would.

I have two spare Motorcraft air compressors, 1987 and up stuff. Don't think I want to ship those to Australia though.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            Don't think I want to ship those to Australia though.
            You certainly don't, as he is in Austria. Lol.

FWIW, I've done business with him and all went smooth as can be, and I'd gladly deal with OP again.

If it comes down to it I can parts-hunt for this project, but it will be some time off in the future.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

I did that to my 85 wagon... But used the level sensor from a GM Astro van with the rear ride height control. The ride height level sensor has all the controls in it (one unit) so it was very simple wiring.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachme...0&d=1426697441
              Last edited by Steveh66; 07-10-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                You certainly don't, as he is in Austria. Lol...
                I'm becoming dyslexic in my old age.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Wouldn't air bags in the coil springs manually controlled from the dash be easier and cheaper?

Comment

That manual control would cost about as much as harvesting ALL the needed stuff from a salvage yard and buying new air springs or shocks depending on the setup. And I think the point of it all is to have the automatic control.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's and your nice rating kishy

donor cars are very rare here in Austria, so I'm trying to find all parts on the net.
                      Can you tell me the partnumber from a 87+ compressor?
                      Not 100% clear to me are the shocks, can I use every kind of airshocks like Gabriel, Hi lifter with the system?

If someone has a bunch of parts and is willing to sell me those, I can provide an american address if necessary!

Thanks guys
                      1988 Lincoln Town Car
                      1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Comment

Air-shocks: yes. That's actually the usual one used for replacements if I'm not mistaken.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you just need the inexpensive adapter to connect the air lines together. The shocks are smaller lines than the air compressor. The fitting is a T with the 3/16" compressor line in and two 1/8" shock lines out.

I don't know for sure, but Arnott may have a new manufacture compressor that will do the job. I bought one for my 4 wheel air Continental from them and looking at their design, it seems like they could easily make one that works on the 80s single line system.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X