1998-02 steering box swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998-02 steering box swap

I have a couple questions about this: 1: do i still use atf type f fluid and 2: can i use the box pitman arm or will it have to be a 98-02 pitman arm. I know i have to make custom lines (double flare) to mate the two together, use the steering coupler from the 98-02 and connect it to the box shaft. If there is anything else im forgetting let me know, thanks for the help

same pitman arm.

I use dex/merc whatever it may be in mine both with the stock set up and the 1998-02 steering box. No ill effects here.

Buy the lines for the new box. One will be easy from box to pump low pressure side.

High pressure side is where you adapt the new to the old with a nice coupler.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post729976
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-09-2019, 07:45 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Mine runs Type F. Its not that big of a deal either way, but its more about the pump than the box.

Box pitman arm unless you are changing the center link, idler arm, and tie rods to 98-02 style. I don't think anyone has actually changed the rest of the linkage, but I am sort of curious if it makes a difference. The geometry is slightly different but I don';t know how that translates to steering feel or performance.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can i use the three steering box bolts or do I have to get them off of a 98-02?

Comment

The bolts that hold it to the frame? I don't specifically remember swapping them but its been a long time.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can use them. I did so on mine.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
              X