Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy to join this community! Mostly looking for help though...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is a test port somewhere on the CFI unit. Might have to remove the air cleaner lid to see it, but its on there someplace. It looks like a tire valve.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah there's the schrader valve right on top, so, just screw a FP gauge there?
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

yes
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So much for testing the fuel pressure -tool doesnt fit.
          Anyways got to checking the timing...
          Spout disconnected base timing was at 20°. Set it back to 10° as it should.
          Runs way better, but still a bit too rough to call okay.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190819_172137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1285762
            What does this vacuum line go to? Short one that passes through the firewall. Via the check valve that is atrached to the vacuum distribution block thats attached to the firewall.
            And is it supposed to leak?

EDIT: it goes to the heater/ac controls (i only got HOT on the test drive)
            But it still leaks.
            Last edited by Arquemann; 08-19-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Check if there are and open vacuum ports on the cfi unit itself. Thats for your ac and cruise control. And no it shouldnt leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As is:
                Plugging in the EGR makes the thing run a little worse, with egr off the idle is actually pretty alright, a consistent shaking.
                Still jerky and stuttery at low throttle, got only a little better after the base timing adjust. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, would the computer realize the new and correct base timing and magically start working properly?

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                  Check if there are and open vacuum ports on the cfi unit itself. Thats for your ac and cruise control. And no it shouldnt leak.

On the CFI apparatus I have 3 lines connected, one to the EGR solenoids, one to the PCV valve and one to the big-ass check valve down on the passenger fender.
                  If someone has more than that, please elaborate.

Comment

That line goes to the vacuum tree then. In the last pic I can see an open port. Thats probably why it isnt idling very well.

Comment

The check valve in the picture is what goes there, I took it off so you could see anything. Its the short line from the check valve that leaks from inside the cabin. The ither line from the check valve goes to the massive vacuum canister behind the left headilight.

Sent from my Honor phone by squinting at a browser

Comment

Oh I see, the one that goes into the firewall goes the hvac controls as I stated earlier. It operates the blend doors. If its leaking vacuum then when you turn the ac on itll work on defrost vents on all settings because thats the default position when vacuum is lost.

Comment

It shouldn't leak, but its not uncommon for the metal soup can to rust out or the line to it to crack. If you have automatic temperature control, the thermal blower lockout in the heater hose is also a common vacuum leak item. the check valve itself also can fail and make it act like a vacuum leak even when there is not one. ATC cars go to hot defrost when they lose vacuum, non-ATC cars just go to defrost. If it does this every time you accelerate, there is a leak or a problem with the check valve.

There should be one more small line through the firewall for the parking brake release. I believe that is closer to the steering column. That valve is another problem area.

When you checked the timing, was it steady or did the mark dance around?

Comment

When I tested the lines, I took out the check valve and tested the lines individually, the "soup can" is fine (takes a while to get a vacuum reading with a hand pump), but the line to the heater controls does leak. On the test run with it plugged I definitely got HOT defrost only, and mine has that automatic AC.

Now with that diagnosed, only vacuum ports left are the big one from the plastoc vacuum tree and the wierd green thing on the back left corner of the manifold.

As tested, the timing was stable, I suppose. I had to wirebrush the damn balamcer to see it at forst.

Comment

Make sure all the vacuum lines under the dash are pushed on all the way. Had to do that a couple of times with the actuators behind the ashtray that control all the vent positions.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The line going into the car branches back out to the thermal blower lockout. A leak there will look like a large leak inside the dash. I've never had the stuff in the dash seal perfectly though.

Comment

Working...
                                X