Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy to join this community! Mostly looking for help though...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the timing if you haven't. If that is wrong, it won't idle correctly. 10 BTDC with the SPOUT connector unplugged.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00166.html

The idle speed can be adjusted if its too low. The throttle kicker on the side of the CFI unit has a screw at the bottom of it which will move the whole unit. Thats the low speed idle adjust.

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/mu...nts/curb_idle/

Might be worth testing the throttle position sensor too. Thats on the passenger side, sort of buried with the high idle linkage parts. Probe from the black to the green wire and verify you get about 1v with the throttle closed. It should be between 0.85 and 1.15 volts if I remember right. It should smoothly increase to about 4.5 volts with the throttle full open. If it has dead spots or doesn't respond, the sensor is bad.

Have you checked this for codes? That might also point you in the right direction.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page13.html
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well...
      Had a little grocery run around town with the egr plugged off. When hot and coming to a stop, it didn't feel like it was going to stall and idled normally (the BEST it's ever done) when finally stopped ...for about 5 seconds, until it started to get rougher again. The jerkiness when maintaining speed wasn't as harsh, or maybe just a placebo.

Now, this evening, I took off the egr position sensor (or whichever is on the egr valve) and the o-ring was all sorts of effed up. New o-ring, throw it together and BAM, holds vacuum just fine, the piston seats fine, (still) doesn't leak and doesn't hang anywhere on its travel.
      Double-checked the vacuum in section all the way back to the intake, at the solenoid (or surrounding connections), there's a very small leak, maybe 1 InHg per 5 seconds.
      Idle is still pretty much just as rough, granted I didn't have time to get it warmed up. I'll go run around town tomorrow and have it up to operating temp.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Put a timing light on it and see if it holds stable. One of the symptoms of the sloppy chain is surging when running.

also, if you haven't yet, inspect the vacuum line to the MAP sensor. That lives on the passenger side fender, a flat box about the size of a deck of cards. That sensor determines engine load by vacuum and when it senses low vacuum you get extra fuel. Too much of a leak and it runs poorly.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welcome! Do you ever listen to Children Of Bodom? They are from Finland.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Today I went around town as a shakedown run, got up to temp, started stalling when coming to a stop and coasting/rolling at very low speeds.

Plugged the EGR vauum line, car idles slightly better, does not stall at all and the jerkiness at part-throttle isnt as bad (still kinda bad tho...)
              So, new EGR position sensor, could that be the culprit here? Or is the egr diaphragm somehow "too loose" or something, and opening too much at low vacuum?

Progress, feels like backwards progress, but progress anyways.

Comment

put a vac gauge on the line to the EGR and watch what it does. If it doesn't vary, but simply shows vacuum or no vacuum, the regulator isn't working right. I had a sticky one and fixed it with a bit of penetrating oil sprayed into the ports on the regulator.

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

After a ~800km roadtrip, my temporary fix to the stalling issue didnt hold up. Even though my test run proved succesful, after driving ~300km with a few short stops, got to town, stalling started again. Did I get the engine hotter than usual? (haven't kept it at 70MPH+ earlier. Trying to figure out the causality here. Egr leak when a truly hot engine? even though the vac line isnt hooked up to it? TBH I should just splurge on new egr parts. Maybe check how the vacuum acts, as @gadget73 mentioned. And by regulator you mean the twin solenoids mounted on the valve cover? How is the egr vacuum supposed to act on these? Hot, cold, on idle and revving?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      put a vac gauge on the line to the EGR and watch what it does.
                      Well, my regulator/solenoids are going absolutely haywire. At first vac was at zero, gave a teenyweeny bit of gas and and the gauge jumped right to 20inHg and sometimes wouldnt come down at all, except when I tapped the gas again.
                      Every single time I gave it gas (barely touching the linkage) it would jump to 20inHg. Sometimes when I let off the gas the vac would slowly come down to about zero and jump right back to 20 and start coming down again.

A small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Comment

yeah that doesn't sound right. Normally the max you get is about 8" of vacuum, and it should gradually increase to that as you give it throttle. Sounds like the regulator is sticky. It should live on the passenger side fender, but tracing the vacuum line will confirm. I know there are some solenoids on the valve cover and I don't remember what all of those do. When you find the EGR reg, pull the lid off, clean out any dirt and remains of the foam filter, and spray some lubricant down into the hole up top. If that doesn't do anything you may just need to replace it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190714_104604.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1285600Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190724_134916.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1285597

So here on the valve cover we these four solenoidy things, vacuum line on top goes to throttle body, line plugged with furniture screw goes to to EGR valve. Red, orange and one black thin vac lines connect to other thicker line back there, one tees off and goes to a hockey puck looking reservoir. Light green line goes to cruise control. Other thin black goes to warm air flap on the air cleaner.

Name:	IMG_20190724_155218.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1285598
                          One line comes to passenger side as thin and black, goes into this junction box looking thing with 2 connectors and 4 vac ports. From the upper 2 ports the lines go into this big ass thing with the yellow sticker and thick hoses going in and out.

Name:	IMG_20190724_151814.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1285599
                          "E1AE-9HH448-AA" -google comes up with a MAF for a newer crown vic...

More random pictures! wtf is this USS Enterprise looking vacuum contraption below the MAP sensor.

Name:	IMG_20190724_155613.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1285601Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190724_155251.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1285602

So with the progress, I thoroughly hosed down the 3 forwardmost solenoids with wd40. the one with the tiny black cap had a reaaally crusty little filter element below the cap. Took it off. Next time I have time to dwell upon this mess I'll put everything back together and hope for a difference in whatever I did in the last post.
                          I need part number or a name for those solenoids on the valve cover, if I ever wish to buy ones.

Comment

hm, not the same style EGR that the 86+ uses. I thought all the EEC-IV used that same arrangement. EGR vacuum and EGR vent solenoid maybe? That system works a little differently. Kishy would know, he's our local CFI guru.

Comment

Got the car back together, vacuum to the egr line is still off the rails. Next up is sourcing new/good solenoids from somewhere.
                              Also found out the cruise control diaphragm mounted on the throttle body doesnt hold vacuum either. I removed it (for now) to simplify things and plugged the line.

The throttle body / CFI unit is similar to kishy's:

Name:	IMG_20190725_130619.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1285603 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190725_130646.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1285604

Unlike kishy's lovely Country Squire, mine has that mess of hoses and that thing with the yellow label.

Name:	IMG_20190724_155218.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1285605
                              It seems that the twin solenoids above the MAP sensor are the "Thermactor Air Bypass & Diverter Solenoids" and the yellow-label mess is the "Thermactor" apparatus which is connected to the air pump system.

So my car's EGR system (i think) consists of the valve, valve pos sensor, the 2 solenoids on valve cover and of course the ECM (which might know what it's doing).
                              Last edited by Arquemann; 07-25-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Ah, fck, it wasn't a cruise control diaphragm, it was the throttle kicker...

Comment

Working...
                                X