89 Country Squire compressor clutch not getting power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 Country Squire compressor clutch not getting power

The clutch isnt engaging so I checked the plug and its not getting power. Fuse is good and the relay on drivers side fender was clicking so I replaced it but new one also clicks when ac is switched on. System is full of R12 and I dont know what to check next.

It does not have auto climate control.

Thanks
    Last edited by SVTDarin; 07-12-2019, 09:01 AM.

If the relay clicks, the ECM is switching the AC off because it thinks the throttle is wide open. Check the TPS sensor. The relay should not click when installed unless the key is on and engine is not running. Then the ECM will disable the AC so as to not damage the compressor or it's clutch during engine start.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      If the relay clicks, the ECM is switching the AC off because it thinks the throttle is wide open. Check the TPS sensor.
      snip

The car runs, drives, idles fine, how do I check the TPS sensor or what am I checking for?

Comment

Did you try jumping the low pressure switch? WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Voltmeter from black to green on the TPS. With the key on and the throttle closed, it should be near 1 volt. The voltage should smoothly increase to about 4.5 volts with the throttle full open. If you have more than about 1.2 volts with the throttle closed, the TPS is most likely bad. You'll probably need some paperclips to poke into the connector in order to check this.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00127.html
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

TPS voltage is good. Rechecked compressor clutch and it is getting power. Any compressor clutch changing tips?

Comment

Need the clutch removal tool, and the holding tool helps. Holding tool looks like this

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64.../dp/B004KEFCPU

most auto parts stores have the clutch removal tools. Use the holder, remove the nut in the middle of the clutch, then use the tool to pull it. There is a washer or stack of washers under the front hub, or maybe they'll be inside the hub. Those are the shims to set the air gap. Hang on to those. Under the hub is a snap ring, pull that and the pulley comes off. Under that is another snap ring, remove that and the coil comes off. Put it back together in the opposite order. Air gap between the pulley and the clutch face is I think .025 - .035 or somewhere in that region. Adjust the shim stack as needed to get there.

Ohm check the clutch coil before you get too far into this. If there is a high resistance connection somewhere, the clutch might not actually get enough power to operate but the volt meter will read voltage. Coil should be under 50 ohms. If its open, its f'd. If you read the coil OK, put a light bulb across the connection and see what it does. If it won't turn the light on, you've got high resistance somewhere in the circuit.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Previous owner redid the AC a few years back and it has this style compressor on it now

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1285698

Comment

yeah thats the 89+ compressor. Still comes apart the same way as the old FS6, but the holding tool might be different. Never had to do one of those myself but AC clutches are all pretty similar.

Comment

Working...
                  X