New from western ny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from western ny

I'm pretty sure I've posted here before but I can not find my old post to bump and update. So here I am, a new person to panther platforms looking for advice.
    After years of horrifying luck with crap cars me and my lady are looking into a 2003+ grand marquis, Or vic, what ever. I've been doing boat loads of research and finding nothing telling me to steer clear of these things so here we are. I did look at a 94-95 a while back but it turned out to have a bad oil buring problem so I left it with its owner instead of buying. Now we have another opportunity to purchase a car and my eyes are set on a panther.

Basically I'm just here for more convincing on buying one. So what do you all think?

Each generation has some gremlins. I think its the 03 or 03-04 that have timing tensioner issues. The early post-03 models also had weaker rear axle shafts that fail too early. I think that got fixed 2005? There are folks on here who know the late models far better than I do, so I'm sure the answers will come.

in the meantime, welcome or welcome back, depending what you prefer
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Get the newest one you can find. Even then it is soon ten years old!
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Avoid 03/04 cars with less than 130K miles on them. The rear axles usually fail within that amount of mileage. Replacements typically last longer. 05 had some weird one-year stuff to it along with first half 06 IIRC. 04 also has some weird one-year stuff. 07+ generally got all the gremlins out other than the human factor. If the car was cared for (regular maintenance done when it was supposed to be done - INCLUDING transmission fluid and filter changes), they should be pretty good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome! Check the frame for rust holes before purchase.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome.
            There's a TON of information here and some fellas with deep knowledge. I learn something every time I come here..
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Thank you all for the warm re-welcome. I'll take into consideration everything I've read here when looking into my purchase. I was hoping the cable throttle years would have been turd free but that's really not a huge issue. Just another electronic that can fail and cost more to replace (which was my concern). Axle shafts are relitivly cheap as far as I remember from my time behind the counter so that honestly doesnt concern me. But again, thank you all! I'll continue to learn from this site

Comment

I would like to counter the thought on the 2003 models. Axle shafts can be easily required if the rear end is making noise by the axle shaft bearing or You see leakage. Otherwise it’s fine. And at this age and mileage, most have already been replaced. If anybody noticed it during the warranty., It was covered under a TSP. 2003‘s also had A recall for the factory tensioner‘s for the timing chains. You can see little painted hashmarks on the valve cover ends if it’s been done The majority of cars had this done. 2004s have a slightly different transmission than a 2003. They still used a 28 spline rear end like the 2003.
                I would pass over the 2005 models as there are questionable elements in terms of electrical components as well as transmissions. Everything was sorted and fixed for 2006. Ford change the electrical system halfway on 2005 models.
                2005 models did get upgraded to a 31 spline axles shaft. Unless you’re doing dragracing or something, there’s no reason to upgrade the axle shafts.
                I would drive a crown Victoria, grand Marquis, and a town car. See what you like. And purchase accordingly. Being that you’re in western New York, the capital of salt, you may want to consider heading south to acquire a less rusty vehicle to buy you time for longevity. Especially if you take vacations down on the Carolina coast, Georgia, or Florida, You can pick anyone of these up for not a lot of money with zero rust.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

If you can do the work yourself that is. If you have a shop do the work, have at least a grand on hand to pay them for an axle rebuild (all bearings & axles).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    If you have a shop do the work, have at least a grand on hand to pay them for an axle rebuild (all bearings & axles).
                    That would be a serious blow to the finances.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

A good test drive with a highway run for at least a mile will tell you if the axles are shot. Humming/buzzing from the rear typically indicates that issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X