crossover components from mustang 4.6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crossover components from mustang 4.6?

So I know the engine is basically the same as from the mustangs. Specifically what I'm wondering about is are the exhaust manifolds the same? or similar enough that they terminate in the same position?

The idea is that the Mustang enjoys a great deal more aftermarket support so I'm wondering if a Mustang Catless X pipe would work with my Marq.

I know I could just go get mustang manifolds pretty cheap but I'm trying to do this on a budget. such a budget that my wife won't notice a hundred bucks here, 200 there etc. so I'm not really in the market to spend 1200 on headers as much as I'd like to.

Physically they should bolt onto the engine. Not sure about clearances on the sides (like steering shafts, etc...), that's something you'd need to check. Any competent exhaust should could get it hooked up to the exhaust or you yourself could too if you're handy enough.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Honestly I wouldn't bother changing the manifolds out for anything less than mid-length headers, with longtubes being the best. The gains just aren't worth the effort. And a lot of the Mustang stuff won't clear our Panther platform without some modifying. If you can't cut/weld on your own then the cost to make it work will put you in the range of a true header setup.

Not sure what year your car is but there are alternatives out there for longtubes that don't cost a small fortune.

Not trying to stop you from wanting to mod it, just hate to see people put so much effort/money/time into something that makes little if any difference on these cars. Check out the OBX longtube exhaust kit for these cars. The price isn't too bad. If you can save up some money then look into StainlessWorks headers. Those are a true bolt-on header with proven gains but then again, not cheap. Consider how many people want to put headers on a car that was designed as a utility vehicle/45+ age range car so the cost to develop those for our platform was higher than normal.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Working...
      X