Circuit Breaker Location???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circuit Breaker Location???

Ugh...my Grandfathers '76 Grand Marquis can be frustrating at times. Last night I was working on the power windows...specifically getting the drivers side passenger power window switch to work (bad ground). I had the passenger side switch working. I had the window rolled down. I hooked up a temporary jumper wire to test something...went to roll the window up using the drivers side switch, and it rolled up. I tried to roll it back down, and nothing. I tried the passenger side switch, and nothing. I used my test light, and had no power to the switch. I tried my drivers side window (which was working), and nothing. I had no power to any of the window switches. I checked all the fuses, and replaced them just to be safe...no love. The owners manual says there is a 20A circuit breaker for the power windows (near the starter relay?) but I can not find this thing to save my soul. The car goes in for a complete brake/bearing replacement tomorrow before I take it to a family reunion next week, so to say I'm getting a little panicked is an understatement. I've worked all spring and summer to get this thing roadworthy for this reunion. I friggen hate electrical gremlins. Gimme a part to throw at an issue any day. Anywho....any help is greatly appreciated. -Dave

Have seen some interesting power window problems with wire breakage in the door jamb. Something to keep in mind.

I’m betting the circuit breaker looks something like this one: https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.co...tml?attribs=78, exactly where I don’t know. Looks like this one mounted on the starter solenoid or at a junction box.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If its like the later ones, it probably hangs right on the starter solenoid on the fender.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It is, and that is where it was. Buuuttt, it didn't solve my problem. The main power wire that ran from the fuse block to the drivers door switch panel broke...somewhere. I spent all of yesterday afternoon running a new power wire to the switch panel.

You know...my Grandpa wasn't a very religious man. I am now convinced that might be partially from working on this car. I lost a little religion yesterday...

Comment

Working on cars in general will do that to you.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X