PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: miss?

Number 8 cylinder has low compression maybe burnt valve

My miss is gone.
    I went over all my grounds, and when I replaced my Engine temp sensor it totally stopped. Smooth as glass.
    A mechanic I have a lot of respect for told me years ago that Ford electronics are more sensitive to ground than others in his opinion.
    I think my miss was due to the crack going through between the posts on my sensor.
    Just a thought...
    All FORD All The Time

I post a lot...

did the power balance test point to that cylinder?
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Did compression test on all 8
    All were around 150 except number 8 which had 40

I post a lot...

40 wow. Did the oil test help at all? could be a blown gasket as well.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    A mechanic I have a lot of respect for told me years ago that Ford electronics are more sensitive to ground than others in his opinion.
    Every sensor on the car has a +5v input, the body is the ground, and the output is some voltage between 5 and ground. Lousy grounds screw up that reference. Thats why there are several in the system. There is one connected to the back of the intake manifold that is supposed to be the ground reference for every sensor screwed into the engine. If thats off or crusty it gets stupid, and it often gets broken. Thats sort of the downfall of analog sensors, a slight voltage problem screws up all of the ECM inputs and its just not advanced enough to realize it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    There is one connected to the back of the intake manifold that is supposed to be the ground reference for every sensor screwed into the engine. If thats off or crusty it gets stupid, and it often gets broken.

Lets put a ring terminal on this stud that is pretty inaccessible and will rust together. Try to loosen and the top nut does not budge and your damn ground is stuck between the two while you struggle to break it free.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

squirted oil in cylinder and only got up to 75 psi

I post a lot...

You ought to find it pretty easy when the head comes off. Did you have it off on this engine before?
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

pump air into the cylinder and listen for where it comes out. If its blowing through the crankcase, heads won't fix it. If its coming out of the intake or exhaust you have valve problems.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Had heads off before got to find shop air From some where

I post a lot...

You may have a vacumm leak at the Intake Manafold so use a computer check for codes and see if the HEGO is reading lean on one side or both sides I have been there done that.

he's got a very weak cylinder. 40 psi isn't going to fire properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12