No announcement yet.

miss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too have the same miss. It's not terrible but it's there.
    I noticed my ignition key is a little hot after driving sometimes.
    I wonder...….
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

the switches are a known problem, but its down further in the column, past the shift lever. I doubt failure there would make the key hot but it could definitely be getting bad. I had voltage problems in my Conti's key-on circuits. Mostly noticed the reverse lights were weak, and one of the problems was about a 1.5v drop across the ignition switch. The Towncar started having the radio cut out and the turn signals were getting spastic.

other random things that can cause a misfire, in no special order
      sloppy timing chain
      any worn ignition parts, including the pickup, module, or coil
      poorly functioning fuel injectors
      egr valve that doesn't behave correctly
      vacuum leaks
      low compression
      oil-fouled plugs
      some ailment that causes incorrect fuel mix, bad O2 sensor, bad temperature sensors, etc
      dead spots in the TPS
      low voltage to the ignition system
      dying ECM or fuel pump relays
      any electrical issue that can cause random low voltage to the ECM, pump, or ignition system
      dirty connections in the ECM harness
      damaged wiring in the ECM harness
      problems in the ECM itself, the caps give up and leak
      your car just doesn't like you
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

reset timing again and rearranged wires so no cross fire.drove it miss fire gone then i checked my work and found spot connector was out put it back miss returns.where do i go from here?

Comment

Check the resistance on the spout connector, it's just a jumper so should be close to 0 ohms. Otherwise I wonder if the computer is to blame.

Also, assuming a stock panther setup, check the wiring from pin 2 of the TFI connector to Pin 36 of the computer, with Spout in. Without spout in, check from spout to each of those pins. It's just wires, so should not be much resistance.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 08-08-2019, 02:13 PM.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Any results on this ?
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Number 8 cylinder has low compression maybe burnt valve

Comment

My miss is gone.
                I went over all my grounds, and when I replaced my Engine temp sensor it totally stopped. Smooth as glass.
                A mechanic I have a lot of respect for told me years ago that Ford electronics are more sensitive to ground than others in his opinion.
                I think my miss was due to the crack going through between the posts on my sensor.
                Just a thought...
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

did the power balance test point to that cylinder?
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Did compression test on all 8
                    All were around 150 except number 8 which had 40

Comment

40 wow. Did the oil test help at all? could be a blown gasket as well.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                        A mechanic I have a lot of respect for told me years ago that Ford electronics are more sensitive to ground than others in his opinion.
                        Every sensor on the car has a +5v input, the body is the ground, and the output is some voltage between 5 and ground. Lousy grounds screw up that reference. Thats why there are several in the system. There is one connected to the back of the intake manifold that is supposed to be the ground reference for every sensor screwed into the engine. If thats off or crusty it gets stupid, and it often gets broken. Thats sort of the downfall of analog sensors, a slight voltage problem screws up all of the ECM inputs and its just not advanced enough to realize it.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          There is one connected to the back of the intake manifold that is supposed to be the ground reference for every sensor screwed into the engine. If thats off or crusty it gets stupid, and it often gets broken.

Lets put a ring terminal on this stud that is pretty inaccessible and will rust together. Try to loosen and the top nut does not budge and your damn ground is stuck between the two while you struggle to break it free.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

squirted oil in cylinder and only got up to 75 psi

Comment

You ought to find it pretty easy when the head comes off. Did you have it off on this engine before?
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

pump air into the cylinder and listen for where it comes out. If its blowing through the crankcase, heads won't fix it. If its coming out of the intake or exhaust you have valve problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X