Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOS Motorcraft reman steering gears (box stock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOS Motorcraft reman steering gears (box stock)

Original listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254221326278
    newer listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283561144612
    as they sell, you'll need to click the "relisted this item" link to get to the next one.

Motorcraft part STG-40RM, Ford part E7AZ-3504A

Free shipping in USA. This is a good deal, although the lack of warranty is a minor risk.
    I bought one and saw that the seller listed another afterwards. I asked, and there are 8 available, which will be sold individually in sequence (sell, list another, repeat).

A complaint I've heard in the past is that commonly available third party remans are more like just a "re-seal" job and they can sometimes be as sloppy or worse than the one you're trying to replace. It is my hope that a NOS Motorcraft reman would be as-new, essentially.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-26-2019, 04:16 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

were you ever able to try the steering box out? whats your opinion on it
    Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 10-18-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
      were you ever able to try the steering box out? whats your opinion on it
      Not yet, it's still in its box looking all pretty and new. It's on a long list of things I want to do...

A lot of people seem to opt for a newer steering gear swap, something about steering response and handling. But for me, stock will be totally fine as long as the slop goes away.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I had a new steering box put in my car 5 years ago but I've only put a couple thousand miles on it since then. It made a world of a difference compared to the original one.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I recall reading that Ford reman boxes are as sloppy as used ones. Back in the day I bought a redhead steering box for my 96'. It made a world of difference.

Comment

the reman I got for my 93 is as sloppy in the steering wheel as ever (which isn't really much on that 93) but the pittman shaft is tight... unlike my last one that had finally worn in about a 16th of slop. Surprised it wasn't leaking yet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X