PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006 Lincoln Town Car - Signature Limited

Nick,
    I'm back in town for a week or so. It seems you've been adding to the stable in the last few years. Congratulations on your progress with the town car restoration. What's the story about the e39 touring? I don't see many above average condition examples of those.
    Jim

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Nice looking car and fun project to get into. I cringed when I saw where it came from Michigan and Copart. At least you had it checked out before hand.

Some dirt bags will buy a vehicle on that site do a couple quick hacks to make the vehicle look like a easy fix then sell it through Copart again at a major profit to unsuspecting people that are not smart enough to have it looked over first before buying.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Southern

The e39 I purchased a couple of years ago. I've driven it maybe 500 miles? It sits in the garage. The timing chains, guides, and vanos sprocket seals need replacing. Nothing has jumped timing but the M62TU is a ticking time bomb if I don't replace them. Then the front suspension needs a refresh as the struts have leaked out, and 1/2 the rubber crap up front has disintegrated.

Yea It's a rusty car, but not a rotted junker. That's the reason I got it - has the right colors, easy to learn about body panel/fitment/alignment, and the interior literally smells new. I'm still in awe about that. I'm replacing various parts under the car (just like body panels) with non rusty fasteners or replacement pieces. I've definitely seen a few people pulling a quick flip on Copart. Sad. The $100 I paid the guy to go look at it was worth it.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

Southern

So I replaced the calipers (junkyard southern ones), pads (motorcraft), and rotors (coated motorcraft).

I went to use the brakes after replacing and the pedal went to the floor. W T F. I used my Motive power bleeder - pushed fluid through. Mild improvement, still poor. Gave up. Last night, tried doing a ABS Service bleed with ForScan. Gained half the pedal back. Ran it again - no change!

So thought about it - and devised a plan. So tonight, Applied pressure with my bleeder (15psi) at the reservoir. Full of fluid. Then used the ABS Service bleed following on screen instructions. Went to take it for a drive - it drives like these cars did when they were new, perfect pedal feel and reaction. Very very pleased. And of all things, the e-brake works!!! No frozen cables, shocker.

Replaced the power steering pressure line (pinhole), and unfortunately a pump too - the stupid mounting threads in the shaft had too much corrosion and stripped out with the puller/pusher tool. A used Floridian pump fixed that. I filled the shaft with fluid film. I soaked the backing plates where the rotor mounts with fluid film. All that's left is replacing the gas tank (someone crunched it in the middle???), sending unit (no longer works). Quality is not the same on the 2006s. 2003s and 4s were better. Alignment and all other fluids have been done/serviced.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

I put fluid film/Krown T40/Antisieze everywhere I can upon reassembly. Hate rusty fasteners and rust in general.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Southern

I've been commuting with this car to work, taking it on errands etc. No complaints really -just need to fix the gas pump, tidy up some trim and I will definitely list for sale. See if someone wants to compensate for time/effort....
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    .. See if someone wants to compensate for time/effort....
    Hahahahahaha ::takes a breath:: Ahahahahahaha! Wishful thinking my friend.

Southern

Yea. I know lol
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Well, as I've been told in a different thread, "..you can't value your time in what's known as a a labor of love.." or some shit like that haha. So you're supposed to help the next guy out and accept a loss. It's rust free right? That's instantly +$2,000 to asking price at least! Doesn't even have to run!

Southern

Well I am glad i replaced the tank and straps. One strap was paper thing under the paint, the other strap was marginal. The tank was corroded. Garbage. So replacement junkyard tank, new sending unit and....its still not working. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. going to ohm the sending unit this weekend and see whats going on. At least its super easy to service.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

So replaced the tank, straps, installed new Ford sending unit. Buttoned it all together. Filled up 6 gallons - nothing. Recently replaced fuel pump assembly harness - still nothing. So started leaving the fuel pump connector poking up in the trunk so I could measure the ohms to see the level (150ish Full, 20ish Empty.

I have a 2007 Town Car Designer. Moved cluster from it to the 2006 - still no gauge reading. Put 2006 Cluster in 2007 car, no reading. 2007 cluster in 2007 car still shows correct 1/4 tank.

I decided to use ForScan to read codes.
    PCM: CEL: P0462
    IC Module code: B1204-60

The wiring diagram book I have for the 2006 and 2007 show it as only two wires - signal and return. Super simple system. Does not indicate any communication to the PCM.

Currently, a volt meter measures 85 ohms at the fuel sending unit itself testing on wiring. Same at connector to fuel pump assembly. 85ish ohms on the underdash harness. 85 ohms as well at the instrument cluster connector.

I'm really at a loss here - what the heck is wrong? I've tried clearing codes with ForScan and nothing changes.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Disconnect it and see if the code changes to P0460 or P0463. If it doesn't change, the PCM may have a short in it. I'd say put a variable resistor on the circuit after unplugging the fuel sender so you could vary the input and see if things work properly, but most people don't have those lying around like I do. There may also be an issue with the cluster. Solder joints may be bad and need reflowing. Checked google and there's a thread on Lincolns on-line that mentions a few things that you've already checked and that 03+ sometimes just needs fuel system cleaner run though a tank to fix it. Not sure how much faith I can put in that, but if something has gummed up the works on the level sender in the tank, that would probably sort it.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=76531

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Disconnect it and see if the code changes to P0460 or P0463. If it doesn't change, the PCM may have a short in it. I'd say put a variable resistor on the circuit after unplugging the fuel sender so you could vary the input and see if things work properly, but most people don't have those lying around like I do. There may also be an issue with the cluster. Solder joints may be bad and need reflowing. Checked google and there's a thread on Lincolns on-line that mentions a few things that you've already checked and that 03+ sometimes just needs fuel system cleaner run though a tank to fix it. Not sure how much faith I can put in that, but if something has gummed up the works on the level sender in the tank, that would probably sort it.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=76531
    I have replaced the sending unit already with a new flex fuel one from Motorcraft. Had the cluster sent out to reflow solder joints due to flickering lighting issue (fixed).

Tried a bottle of techron before a 600 mile trip - no change. And with new sending unit, i'd expect no need for it. And while I did mount the sending unit backwards the first time - its mounted properly now

But these threads are looking to be super helpful so I'll give them a look. Thanks!
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Yeah... definitely weird issue. Good luck with it. I'd still do the disconnect test just to make sure that the new parts are actually still working.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Southern

Well well well....

I ohm'd the wires from the cluster to the pump connector. and Voila. Barely any resistance hmm....interesting. This is a test I had not done before. Then I thought well wait, if the stupid cluster in the 2007 works fine in the 2007, why would it not work in the 2006? Its the same cluster, same car. Same pinout. (I have both wiring diagram books). So continuing to test, I hooked up the cluster for the 2007 - nada. Then I thought wait a second...did I plug back in the fuel pump connector?
    DING!

We have a fuel gauge reading.

So all this time was wasted from me not plugging in the fuel pump connector. ARG. I ordered a replacement cluster (that does not require programming) from LKQ - SAME MILEAGE to within 50 miles, of my car for $79 and change shipped to my door. Unfortunately, with this virus, I do not and will not do vehicle sales. Don't want any additional exposure to the general public. I'll just wait til things calm down again. There's a fault internally on the cluster somewhere - I have no idea where on it - or how. But I've ruled down to it.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

I like those fixes though. Makes you laugh looking back at them. Super frustrating at first.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

you have no idea how many times I've chased myself in circles only to realize I forgot to plug something in.

Whats scarier is when I get working on things that are wall powered, go to plug it back in after soldering a bunch of stuff in and realize it was already plugged in.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I like those fixes though. Makes you laugh looking back at them. Super frustrating at first.
    I do too. But damn I wish I figured this out MONTHS ago. So I could have sold it with the Yukon and had the cash. oh well. Ill look back and laugh one day
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    you have no idea how many times I've chased myself in circles only to realize I forgot to plug something in.

Whats scarier is when I get working on things that are wall powered, go to plug it back in after soldering a bunch of stuff in and realize it was already plugged in.
    Shiiittttttt lol
    Oops....
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    I do too. But damn I wish I figured this out MONTHS ago. So I could have sold it with the Yukon and had the cash. oh well. Ill look back and laugh one day
    We'll laugh at... er with you next time you're in MI. My last ID10t mistake was putting in my EATC control head and wondering why it would not switch from default. It helps to plug the vacuum actuator assembly electrical connector in before putting everything back together.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12