No announcement yet.

2006 Lincoln Town Car - Signature Limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So replaced the tank, straps, installed new Ford sending unit. Buttoned it all together. Filled up 6 gallons - nothing. Recently replaced fuel pump assembly harness - still nothing. So started leaving the fuel pump connector poking up in the trunk so I could measure the ohms to see the level (150ish Full, 20ish Empty.

I have a 2007 Town Car Designer. Moved cluster from it to the 2006 - still no gauge reading. Put 2006 Cluster in 2007 car, no reading. 2007 cluster in 2007 car still shows correct 1/4 tank.

I decided to use ForScan to read codes.
    PCM: CEL: P0462
    IC Module code: B1204-60

The wiring diagram book I have for the 2006 and 2007 show it as only two wires - signal and return. Super simple system. Does not indicate any communication to the PCM.

Currently, a volt meter measures 85 ohms at the fuel sending unit itself testing on wiring. Same at connector to fuel pump assembly. 85ish ohms on the underdash harness. 85 ohms as well at the instrument cluster connector.

I'm really at a loss here - what the heck is wrong? I've tried clearing codes with ForScan and nothing changes.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Disconnect it and see if the code changes to P0460 or P0463. If it doesn't change, the PCM may have a short in it. I'd say put a variable resistor on the circuit after unplugging the fuel sender so you could vary the input and see if things work properly, but most people don't have those lying around like I do. There may also be an issue with the cluster. Solder joints may be bad and need reflowing. Checked google and there's a thread on Lincolns on-line that mentions a few things that you've already checked and that 03+ sometimes just needs fuel system cleaner run though a tank to fix it. Not sure how much faith I can put in that, but if something has gummed up the works on the level sender in the tank, that would probably sort it.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=76531

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        Disconnect it and see if the code changes to P0460 or P0463. If it doesn't change, the PCM may have a short in it. I'd say put a variable resistor on the circuit after unplugging the fuel sender so you could vary the input and see if things work properly, but most people don't have those lying around like I do. There may also be an issue with the cluster. Solder joints may be bad and need reflowing. Checked google and there's a thread on Lincolns on-line that mentions a few things that you've already checked and that 03+ sometimes just needs fuel system cleaner run though a tank to fix it. Not sure how much faith I can put in that, but if something has gummed up the works on the level sender in the tank, that would probably sort it.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=76531
        I have replaced the sending unit already with a new flex fuel one from Motorcraft. Had the cluster sent out to reflow solder joints due to flickering lighting issue (fixed).

Tried a bottle of techron before a 600 mile trip - no change. And with new sending unit, i'd expect no need for it. And while I did mount the sending unit backwards the first time - its mounted properly now

But these threads are looking to be super helpful so I'll give them a look. Thanks!
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

Comment

Yeah... definitely weird issue. Good luck with it. I'd still do the disconnect test just to make sure that the new parts are actually still working.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well well well....

I ohm'd the wires from the cluster to the pump connector. and Voila. Barely any resistance hmm....interesting. This is a test I had not done before. Then I thought well wait, if the stupid cluster in the 2007 works fine in the 2007, why would it not work in the 2006? Its the same cluster, same car. Same pinout. (I have both wiring diagram books). So continuing to test, I hooked up the cluster for the 2007 - nada. Then I thought wait a second...did I plug back in the fuel pump connector?
            DING!

We have a fuel gauge reading.

So all this time was wasted from me not plugging in the fuel pump connector. ARG. I ordered a replacement cluster (that does not require programming) from LKQ - SAME MILEAGE to within 50 miles, of my car for $79 and change shipped to my door. Unfortunately, with this virus, I do not and will not do vehicle sales. Don't want any additional exposure to the general public. I'll just wait til things calm down again. There's a fault internally on the cluster somewhere - I have no idea where on it - or how. But I've ruled down to it.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

I like those fixes though. Makes you laugh looking back at them. Super frustrating at first.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

you have no idea how many times I've chased myself in circles only to realize I forgot to plug something in.

Whats scarier is when I get working on things that are wall powered, go to plug it back in after soldering a bunch of stuff in and realize it was already plugged in.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  I like those fixes though. Makes you laugh looking back at them. Super frustrating at first.
                  I do too. But damn I wish I figured this out MONTHS ago. So I could have sold it with the Yukon and had the cash. oh well. Ill look back and laugh one day
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    you have no idea how many times I've chased myself in circles only to realize I forgot to plug something in.

Whats scarier is when I get working on things that are wall powered, go to plug it back in after soldering a bunch of stuff in and realize it was already plugged in.
                    Shiiittttttt lol
                    Oops....
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                      I do too. But damn I wish I figured this out MONTHS ago. So I could have sold it with the Yukon and had the cash. oh well. Ill look back and laugh one day
                      We'll laugh at... er with you next time you're in MI. My last ID10t mistake was putting in my EATC control head and wondering why it would not switch from default. It helps to plug the vacuum actuator assembly electrical connector in before putting everything back together.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Replacement cluster arrived, it had 5 fewer miles. BFD. plugged it in, installed, put dash together. Looks great. Needs to be cleaned, fix water leak driver side, and ship it. I'm getting tired of sitting on it. its a nice car, it should be driven. Wish the covid-19 stuff hadnt scared people away.
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                        X