2006 Lincoln Town Car - Signature Limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 Lincoln Town Car - Signature Limited

Back in October I stumbled upon the vehicle I was very interested in them from a service you all are familiar with, Copart. It was a 2006 Lincoln town car. It was black on black with a factory moonroof. I ran the Carfax and found that while it had been involved in two prior accidents, it had an impeccable dealer maintenance history since it was made. I paid for a gentleman to check the vehicle out in person for me as it was located out of state. He indicated this was an absolute creampuff of a car. And did say there was some rust on it. I knew with it being a Michigan car all of its life, there was going to be something. It was sold with a clean title. And I hold a clean title to it currently.

Once I acquired the vehicle, I did an inventory to see what it would need. I needed to have one of the frame rails tugged on A 1/16” of an inch, as it hit and shifted over. I had a frame shop pull the frame end back over. He also straightened the welded on crossmember behind the actual energy absorber. That did cost a couple hundred bucks, but was needed.

After taking off the stupid chrome crap around the wheels, I found out more about the rust I knew I was replacing both front Fenders due to the damage they had. So I acquired two fenders from the local pick and pull and have them painted. I also sourced a nice condition hood already painted black at the pick and pool from a 2008.

This 2006 car came with factory H ID lights and they had many tabs busted off in the accident. So I still need to weld them on. The car also needed a driver door as the skin and part of the shell have been bent out of shape from the fender being shoved into the door, then the door being opened. The same 2008 I pulled the hood from, also donated its Door. Bonus was that they were both black!

I manage to also acquire a used energy absorber at the junkyard from an on smashed vehicle. I found a painted brand new aftermarket bumper cover on eBay for $200 shipped to my door. Let’s see how long the paint holds up ha ha. I also found the plastic header panel for the headlights to hold on to at the junkyard undamaged.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	908E2F6F-EF92-4DDE-A94A-096F703C197B.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.14 MB
ID:	1305004Click image for larger version

Name:	AE739956-1968-4392-975A-B6D36AC06875.png
Size:	5.30 MB
ID:	1305005Click image for larger version

Name:	FA5B9CF3-7E94-4F23-8522-5B0FB48016DF.jpg
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	1305006Click image for larger version

Name:	38E2848B-0AC1-48DA-918B-E5EDCBEC3963.jpg
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	1305007Click image for larger version

Name:	8E43F4FA-5243-42FD-8A84-FE04937884D2.jpg
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	1305008Click image for larger version

Name:	27358D82-9E1D-4F98-92B5-C12B325D340A.jpg
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	1305009
    Last edited by TecNickal; 07-28-2019, 12:25 AM.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

I can totally comment on this car being cherry inside. It even smells new. Rest of the body is certainly in good shape, save for some minor rust that he mentioned earlier. Definitely fixable, though.

It started looking a bit more like a car today with a little "adjustment" done to the DR fender.

The PS fender went on easier. Hood needed some side to side and up and down adjustment. We also loosened and yanked the whole core support towards the passenger side.
    Using his other Town Cars as reference, we got everything lined up within tolerances the others were at.

Should be a really nice driver once Nick gets the bumper and header panel refitted.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 07-28-2019, 12:40 AM.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Zach was super nice enough to come out from Augusta to help me take her with this car today. I had already mounted and installed the replacement door. But trying to align the fenders, hood, cowling etc we’re proving troublesome solo. If you’ve ever worked on a 1998 through 2011 Lincoln town car, you know that the hood hinges are mounted to a bracket that is bolted to the cowling that also screws into the fender. Trying to get all of this crap lined up while doable solo is so much easier with additional help.

It took easily a couple of hours of manipulating the fender to get it lined up properly with the body on the the car. The accident had actually bent the cowling a little bit. There are quite a few washes in place so that things with bolt up again. Less manipulation was needed on the passenger side as it really took no damage in the accident. Both fenders had a substantial amount of rust hidden behind the chrome strip especially around the screws that tapped into the metal. The replacement fenders were non-rusty southern cars. Once the rears of the fenders have the right body gap between the door and were mounted properly on the cowling, we move to alignment of the header panel upfront.

Both Zach and I were a bit stumped at how to make things a lineup front as everything had shifted a bit to the driver side. After loosening the body mounts a few turns we both tugged and pulled on the header panel to move it back towards the passenger side. This allowed for proper alignment and bolt holes to be used on the fenders upfront. And allowed for proper gaps between fenders and the hood. Maybe this driver side could be pulled a shade closer to the hood. But after manipulating the hood hinges and the bolts on the hood relative to the fenders it’s as good as it’s going to be.

I cannot tell you how amazed I am at how well the car has come together. I still need to put on The replacement header panel, the replacement energy absorber, and the bumper cover as well as assorted trim pieces for airflow underneath. Then I should be able to Drive it again. I will let a paint less dent repair guy take out a few door dings the body has. I also have a rusty wheel arch to address on the passenger side rear which afterwords will need that panel re-sprayed plus the bumper cover needs to be repaired and re-sprayed.

Zach may share some pictures as he was smart enough to take some more we were working on things. I’ll take some as I work on stuff tomorrow. What a very productive day it’s been… Cannot thank Zach enough for his help.

Edit - Well that ended up working well… see pictures above!
      Last edited by TecNickal; 07-28-2019, 12:41 AM.
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

Comment

Awesome work guys. Collision repair is always full of surprises. And Copart can have even more surprises! Look like you guys took everything in stride and will end up with a decent ride.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice work. Looks like a great car.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

More work done. Installed header panel to fender brace bolts. Minor tweaking haha. Laid wiring harnesses. Replaced headlamp bucket panel, replaced wiring harness cover on front and fitted bolts to hold it. installed energy absorber. Also fitting bumper cover on. Still need splash shields etc installed underneath. Another 1.5 hours work.

Plus need to plastic weld tabs back on lights. Also need to install new AC lines and accumulator as old stuff is rotttttted to the max.

I’m doing the work with OCD to make sure things are done right. I don’t like half hearted, dumb installs. Click image for larger version

Name:	FC615EF9-62DE-4E97-89C6-BA389BE423E0.jpeg
Size:	4.63 MB
ID:	1285660Click image for larger version

Name:	E76FB5FC-12C9-47CB-AAEC-1A8932F1540B.jpeg
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	1285661Click image for larger version

Name:	73879030-2374-40E0-81B9-4DA19340332E.jpeg
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	1285662Click image for larger version

Name:	C6D03925-933D-4DBD-A9D8-8F7C659E5439.jpeg
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1285663Click image for larger version

Name:	679F2036-ADD7-459E-89F0-25146670DD71.jpeg
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	1285664
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

Our experience with CoPart and the like is "Never again." Would have spent more on fees and such than the actual car and not to mention we wouldn't be able to see it or drive it. So unless we could get a car for $50 and assume it needed everything, we can't justify using the site. Not to mention it took Ashley just short of four months to get her money back from the site.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Copart is geared for wrecking yards and body shops. High volume customers get good deals. I used to deal with the first Copart in Ca. in the late 80s. Fees were not very high then. I have bought vehicles for $15 with fees waived. It was at the end of the auction, all the bidders were out of money. They just wanted the stuff gone. Since the public was able to buy, the fees are out of sight.

Comment

This experience at Copart, with a clean title, was partly to see how much I liked it. There are definitely deals to be had. But most of it is - like you all say, overhyped and overpriced.

The interior in this 2006 is worth what I paid for it at auction. A always garaged, meticulously dealer maintained car with super nice leather, carpets, dash - non smoker. Black/Black Sig Lim w/moonroof. Nice. Once I'm done bringing ti back up to it self, I'll probably have into it - what I could have found private party. So it was a fun experience. I learned a lot about how sloppy the body alignment is on these cars - lots of room for adjustments. But I also know, unless I just want a project, or I need the car for specific reason, there are better ways to do this. Buy it private party. The fees are crazy.
                  The same goes for IAA.

Today, I swapped all the driver door trims, regulators, actuator, latches, etc and realigned the hood/latch/release. That took a lot of time. Installed a "Limited" grill and a new emblem. Tomorrow will be plastic tab welding, install fender moldings. Replacement chrome wheels arrive at the end of the week. If time permits, I'll install new AC lines and accumulator too.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

Comment

Well short of a driver door repaint, wheel arch repair/respray and a possible hood respray this car is done with body work.

Trans service does need to be done. Oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter all replaced. Car runs pretty well. It’s a nice car.

Definitely needs brake work on all four corners. Brakes get hot to the touch. Sticking rusty caliper slides, etc. all in due time.

Got windows tinted as well as all door dings removed.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

I drive this car for maybe 20 miles a week at best. It’s decided to have the fuel level fail. It’s an FFV car. My readings indicate it needs a new sending unit Dash I found a replacement on Amazon for $30 from Ford. The gas tank is incredibly rusty. One of the straps looks questionable. I got a non-rusty gas tank for $50 from a junkyard up the street. I’ll pluck a couple of new straps as well as hardware at the pick and pool. But that’s a task for November.

I procured a Marty report. I’ll post it and the window sticker soon.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

Comment

1LNHM82V76Y621451_dlxrpt.pdf

Here’s the report for the 2006. Sounds like a dud of a car to sit around for so long!
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

Comment

Wow took way long to sell that one!
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

And I thought mine sat on the lot a long time...
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                            1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                            1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Ya’ll school me:
                              2,562 Made with that engine/trans.
                              8,189 Made with the 18-spoke wheels
                              For the 2006 Limited TC

So what engine/trans were those other 5,627? Was there a mid year change?
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X