2003 Town Car code P1238

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Town Car code P1238

I’m stranded 50 miles from home. Car was fine, shut it off, visited a friend for a few hours. Came out and started it, it ran rough for about 30 seconds then stalled. I have one code P1237 something about the fuel system/fuel module. Is there an easy way to diagnose this? I’m kind of stuck here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 08-08-2019, 07:27 PM. Reason: Edit: I accidentally put p1238 in the title, the actual code is p1237
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

I’m not much help but better than none. Do you have any tools to confirm voltage to the pump?

Found this: https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=2704058
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      I’m not much help but better than none. Do you have any tools to confirm voltage to the pump?

Found this: https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=2704058
      Not with me I don’t. I think I can hear the pump running though. I know it doesn’t make sense considering the code but it almost seems like a no spark issue. I tried cranking it a couple times just a few seconds each nothing stupid, and now it won’t crank. Like it’s flooded or something. I’m kind of thinking it’s best for me to not touch anything at this point.

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

2003 Town Car code P1238

Fuel pump relay seems fine, pump isn’t running and I have 0 fuel pressure. I guess that leaves the pump or the fuel module?

Does anyone know where that stupid module lives?

​

Comment

Fuel pump driver module is the inertia switch in the trunk. (Compared notes with the EVTM I have for 2000-2003 vehicles.) Make sure the button didn't pop and the connector is still attached. Also, check the connector on the fuel pump itself if you can. Might try banging on the fuel pump hanger as well in case the vibrations might loosen up the pump to run long enough to get home.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

2003 Town Car code P1238

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Fuel pump driver module is the inertia switch in the trunk. (Compared notes with the EVTM I have for 2000-2003 vehicles.) Make sure the button didn't pop and the connector is still attached. Also, check the connector on the fuel pump itself if you can. Might try banging on the fuel pump hanger as well in case the vibrations might loosen up the pump to run long enough to get home.
            Ok thanks, I figured they were a separate unit. Every image I find online shows a different looking device. I was able to push it into a nearby business lot. They said I can leave it overnight. It’s downtown in a pretty nice part of town. I know the owner of said business and she lives over the store and will keep an eye on it. Should be able to get a buddy with a trailer to tow it home tomorrow.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 08-08-2019, 10:38 PM.

​

Comment

tap the tank a few times with a rubber mallet, see if it starts.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

2003 Town Car code P1238

So it turns out my guy with the trailer up and decided between 8PM last night and this morning that he's going to South Carolina for two weeks. Most of the people I know are unfortunately unreliable and only get ahold of me when they want something. But if I want something it's tough shit. Anyways called around and I'm looking at at least $300 for a 50 mile tow! One shop was willing to tow it to their shop for $60 and if I have them fix it there's no tow bill. I talked to the service manager and Monday is as soon as he can get to it. He said he's come across this issue before and thinks it's the fuel pump driver or a bad connection somewhere. They have them in stock $99, if it's the pump he didn't have a price. So I won't know anything until Monday, hoping it's cheaper to have them fix it otherwise I'm looking at a total of at least $360 in towing plus parts to do it myself. Honestly at this point if they can fix it for less $ than I have to my name I'll have them fix it.

I’m starting to think I should be in the towing business. Back in 2015 I had the ‘01 Town Car towed 2 blocks and it was $125, having the 200 towed 17 miles when I wrecked it was $185! Insurance reimbursed me on both but it took months.
                Last edited by mercurygm88; 08-09-2019, 05:57 PM.

​

Comment

Kinda why I have AAA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Kinda why I have AAA.
                    I had it but I had to switch insurance companies a couple weeks ago, and right now with the whole being unemployed thing I just couldn't afford it. Yes I know it's only a few extra dollars a month, but right now those dollars count. I plan to upgrade my policy as soon as I get back to work. Also I really don't want to change a fuel pump, only ever done one and it was a true nightmare job. Even if it happened in my driveway I'd have probably had somebody local do it. It's just frustrating that it happened 50 miles from home right before ScottFest weekend. I was literally packed and ready to go, could've been worse I could have been 200 miles from home somewhere on I80 in the middle of PA when it let loose. Or then again I could have made it all the way there and had it fail in Scotts driveway

Besides when I had AAA on the '01 TC the towing company they called made me pay up front then AAA reimbursed me. It took at least 60 days to get the money. I'm still waiting on them to reimburse me on the tow from when I wrecked the Chrysler on July 11.
                    Last edited by mercurygm88; 08-09-2019, 11:03 PM.

​

Comment

That sucks. I've never had to fork over any money up front. And I've had several vehicles towed over the years.

Comment

That sucks. I've never had to fork over any money up front. And I've had several vehicles towed over the years.
                        I’ve only done it twice, I assume it depends on the tow company more than AAA. I had Chrysler road side assistance tow me one winter when my battery died and it was 15 degrees below zero, that one didn’t cost me anything.

Imagine the laughter I’d have gotten if I tried to use the Lincoln roadside assistance card that was in the cars owners manual. It’s only been expired since 2008. Probably not even s functioning number anymore.

​

Comment

Working...
                        X