Cold start; hot no start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey guys. I'm still fishing for the culprit of the cold start idle idle / hot start no idle. And this part came to mind. It was swapped while I replaced a leaking fuel injector. One curious thing which may have no effect is the part had electrical taped wrapped around the bottom when it was removed and the replacement stock part had two inlets for that year though the next year one had one similar to mind so I opted for the next year one from AutoZone. Can anyone tell me what this part is and does? And could it be part of my problem? It came from inside the upper intake. As always thanks guys.

@Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Looks the a PCV valve.

Stock location for the PCV valve is way in the back of the lower intake.

Dont believe there to be any difference between a two port PCV and the single one you have pictured above.

The electrical tape is a just to make it fit more securely in its grommet. If it didn't fit snug there will be a vacuum leak.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

its a PCV valve. Only one port needed. The aftermarket ones are a somewhat universal fit thing, it comes with an elbow with two holes. The small one is usually plugged, you cut the plug out if you need it. Or remove the elbow if your original did not have it.

The grommets don't fit properly so you have to bulk up the PCV valve. use heat shrink tubing, it won't come apart and get sucked up into the valve.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You may have a fuel pump overheating that will create a no start condishion so be prepaird to replace the fuel pump

Comment

TFI Module?
              90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
              90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
              91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
              70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

The TFI Module is world fameous for crapping out so if the car won't start when hot run a quick ignition test check for spark at the Coil and distributor If no spark at the Coil I would try a new Coil and Module good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I haven't gotten around to tinkering with it. I'll try and take a look at it today if my sore throat eases up.
                  @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the TFI/Coil and Module is? photo or verbal. I'm guessing it's near the cool distributor.
                    @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

TFI is on the distributor. It’s shown in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsEiEzKsHE

Coil is on the A/C bracket I think or in that ballpark. I moved mine so I can’t recall exactly.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Here is a video i found that shows the tfi and the tool to remove it. May not be the best quality video but it is short and you can skip through to the important parts pretty easy. For an 80s ford dummy like me it is a good intro to this stuff
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsEiEzKsHE

Here is a similar video i found that shows how to test it in the first place with a 12v light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlKtjBzax10&t=321s
                        Like i said i'm still new to this but it seems to help. good luck
                        96 MGM
                        sigpic
                        Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

and the pickup is down inside the distributor. Official procedure is to remove the distributor, remove the gear, pull the shaft out, and replace it that way. I've been told, but have not personally verified, that if you remove the "spider" inside the distributor you can pull the pickup out without taking the distributor apart. I don't remember if there is anything to index that spider, but if there is not make sure you use a marker so it goes back in the same way it came out otherwise it'll screw with how the ECM delivers fuel. Its got one skinny finger and thats how it knows where #1 is.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help. Does anyone think my problem may have something to do with the thermostat? Since it only happens once the engine gets up to operating temperature and it idles fine once it's allowed to cool below 190. Just a thought. Thanks again
                            @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

No. The engine should still run even if it's overheating. These things will blow head gaskets before they stop running. The TFI has a known issue that when it fails, it will fail at warm temps but still work when cooled down if it works at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X