PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold start; hot no start?

TFI Module?

I post a lot...

The TFI Module is world fameous for crapping out so if the car won't start when hot run a quick ignition test check for spark at the Coil and distributor If no spark at the Coil I would try a new Coil and Module good luck.

Poncho

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I haven't gotten around to tinkering with it. I'll try and take a look at it today if my sore throat eases up.
    @Ryan.Madison68

Poncho

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the TFI/Coil and Module is? photo or verbal. I'm guessing it's near the cool distributor.
    @Ryan.Madison68

TFI is on the distributor. It’s shown in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsEiEzKsHE

Coil is on the A/C bracket I think or in that ballpark. I moved mine so I can’t recall exactly.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Here is a video i found that shows the tfi and the tool to remove it. May not be the best quality video but it is short and you can skip through to the important parts pretty easy. For an 80s ford dummy like me it is a good intro to this stuff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsEiEzKsHE

Here is a similar video i found that shows how to test it in the first place with a 12v light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlKtjBzax10&t=321s
    Like i said i'm still new to this but it seems to help. good luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

and the pickup is down inside the distributor. Official procedure is to remove the distributor, remove the gear, pull the shaft out, and replace it that way. I've been told, but have not personally verified, that if you remove the "spider" inside the distributor you can pull the pickup out without taking the distributor apart. I don't remember if there is anything to index that spider, but if there is not make sure you use a marker so it goes back in the same way it came out otherwise it'll screw with how the ECM delivers fuel. Its got one skinny finger and thats how it knows where #1 is.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Poncho

Thanks guys for all the help. Does anyone think my problem may have something to do with the thermostat? Since it only happens once the engine gets up to operating temperature and it idles fine once it's allowed to cool below 190. Just a thought. Thanks again
    @Ryan.Madison68

No. The engine should still run even if it's overheating. These things will blow head gaskets before they stop running. The TFI has a known issue that when it fails, it will fail at warm temps but still work when cooled down if it works at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12