1985 Cv, brake metering Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 Cv, brake metering Block

Where can i find a new metering block. My Front brakes lock up when i drive for more than 4 miles, i suspect this to be due to the metering block, or proportionig block. My pedal was getting harder and harder to press while my brakes in the front were barley letting me drive even when my foot wasnt on the brake pedal. I have new calipers, brake hoses, master cylinder, and brake lines, the only other possible explination is my brake booster, but that wouldnt explain why the back brakes were free. It came to a point where i was turning into my loop of houses at a stop sign, my fronts were so bad that when i gave the motor gas the rear wheels chirped just to barley get me going. I figured out that the problem is MOST LIKLEY the metering block, where the hell do i find a new one? Rock auto doesnt carry them. Theres no local junkyards that have 80's cars, could i just steal one off of any car with drums in the back and discs in the front? Any help is appreciated.

honestly that sounds more like the booster is sucking down and pushing on the master cylinder. The prop valve only restricts pressure to the rear brakes, it can't add pressure to the front with no input from the master cylinder. If the pushrod for the MC isn't adjusted properly it will do that too.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agreed that the proportioning valve is probably not causing this unless there is a blockage internally and it’s holding pressure on the front brakes.

New parts don’t equal good parts. Crack a bleeder open on the front wheels while this is occurring. If you get a squirt, it’s hydraulic problem or a blockage. If no squirt (drip is normal), the caliper is sticking. I think I’ve had three calipers replaced under warranty.

If the lines are clear and it’s not the caliper, it has to be the booster or the MC.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

could also be rusty pins if those didn't get lubed up. has to be that high temp grease too, reg grease or antiseize will stick
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Update: More information, this car was sitting for 13 years in houston, So far i put on new calipers, master cylinder, brakes lines, hoses, and pads. My dads taking apart the prop valve, and he just got some goop out, it looks like vasaline, or finishing paste

Comment

do you have a bit of play in the pedal? If the master cylinder doesn't fully return it will do this. I've had to fiddle with that adjustment before.

Comment

No. There wasnt any play. When i first noticed the car was stopping too easy i put my foot on the back of the pedal and tried to pull it up and nothing happend

Comment

yeah you might need to back off the pushrod just a tiny bit so the MC returns all the way.

Comment

Working...
                X