How to remove and adjust header panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did it turn out?

Well, was better during the install, but after tightening all the nuts and bolts it nearly looked as if the parts went back into their old position. The header panel upper edged came up a bit and the lower edge has moved up and forward. However, the kinks on the top still don’t line up (I doubt they ever will) and the very right side of the panel tilts down a bit. But at least I killed a rainy Saturday morning...

Regards, Alex

sigpic

Comment

Hey. Good work anyways. Was worth a shot.

Again, it is tough to make things right after things were repaired incorrectly. A shortcut was taken before your ownership in the repair and it is tough to overcome that without replacing panels.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks better IMO. Agreed on the tweaked panels... can’t make them perfect.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You could lower the passenger side hood bump stop to bring the hood down some, it would make it sit slightly low compared to the fender but it would hide the gap from the bent hood some.

Its not too unlike the damage my '97 had/has, except mine was/is worse off than yours. My header panel was destroyed, the fender is shoved over a fair bit at the front, and none of it was even close to lining up right. When I got a "new" header panel, I loosened the fender and core support and pulled them back over closer to where they should be, as well as smashed the end of the fender back over far enough to fit the new panel. I was able to get the header panel in and aligned properly with the un-wrecked drivers side fender and core support, but both fenders and core support are still shoved over a bit, and the front of the passenger side fender is too low relative to the core support because of the way it buckled. Somehow, the aluminum hood stayed perfectly square and flat aside from the very front corner being folded down slightly, this is how I know that both fenders are still pushed over because I have a 1/2" gap at the rear passenger side and front drivers side relative to the fenders, and almost no gap at the opposite corners. I also had to slot the hood latch bracket and bend it down slightly so it pulls the hood down tight enough to be level with the still out of whack header panel alignment. The end result is that all of the parts line up way better than they rightfully should, aside from the hood to fender gaps and the fact that I never paint matched the header panel and bumper or filled the dent in the front of the one fender, it would be hard to tell it was hit anywhere near as severely as it was. If the car was in better shape as far as rust, I would have certainly replaced the passenger side fender and I have no doubt that I could have probably gotten fitment very close to factory spec, its the way that fender is buckled (it actually creased up near the hood hinge support) that is preventing the rest from "falling into place".
          -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
          1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Working...
          X