Differences in ac compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences in ac compressors

A post in another members thread got me thinking about ac compressors. I have a remanned unit that has yet to be used on my 87. Its the older style. I know Ford changed then in what 89, but why did they change it? And is one better than the other? My 87 had no ac equipment, except for an evaporator that was cut, so I built it from the ground up. I had to use fox mustang suction and discharge manifolds at the compressor since I couldnt find ones for a box and theyre essentially the same. However the fox manifold has a low pressure port on it that hits the coil bracket. Its no big deal but Id rather use the correct manifold if I can. Enough of that though, in addition to the above questions, is it worth it to swap to a newer style ac compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot comment on the compressors but if you want the correct manifolds let me know. I pull three sets from a junkyard and just did the swap on my car.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hmm sure, it would be nice having the right equipment on the car lol.

Comment

Different manufacturer for the compressor, but I don't know if there is any real advantage to one over the other. The hoses are different, and that might be an issue. I don't know exactly when the various components changed, but the connections at the condensor and the drier aren't identical across all years. Depending what parts you have in the car, that might force you into specific AC lines, and that will determine the compressor. The FS6 uses the manifold and the screw in connections, whatever the later one is uses a line with a quick connect at the compressor manifold. Both of mine are the old FS6 pump, and it works fine. Neither have the updated condensor or anything else, its just the stock stuff that came on the cars in the 80s with R134a retrofit connections on the charge ports.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I already have all the components (FS6) so thats the way Im headed but it got me thinking. I havent had much time to tinker with it but the last time my buddy and I tried to pull a vacuum on it there was a leak. Im pretty sure I know where it is and will solve it asap then hopefully will have ac. For the time being its going to have to sit unfortuneately.

Comment

Working...
          X