What battery to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    Can anyone verify that group size 58 superceded group 64 in our cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    56 should be the 64 substitute. I've seen 58s used in place of 59 and 65 batteries though.

I think a Group 27 or 24 have a similar enough footprint to a 64 if you needed to get something common.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ill look into the dealer but I honestly dont like dealing with them. I had a couple bad experiences with them with two of my mustangs. I just dont trust them. I think buying a battery from them would be a mistake.

I got a hold down from an 87 town car because the po had a 65 with a giant ziptie holding it down. I just want it to fit like factory is all.

Comment

I bought a Motorcraft in 2017 for my Ranger, in 2018 they replaced it under warranty because it wouldn’t hold a charge. The 2018 is still okay.

The 2004 Everstart in the 74 pickup is living up to its name. But they don’t make them like that anymore.

I think most modern batteries suck.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

So I can either get a 56 from the Ford dealer with a 3 year 100 month prorated warrenty or get a 64 from Batteries Plus. Im not sure which one Im going to go with yet but the Motorcraft warrenty sounds pretty tempting. I have no clue about the price though.

Comment

BatteriesPlus? Hope they won't charge you 50% over list. If that's your only choices, I'd go to the local parts store. Currently running DuraLast crap in my stuff. If you pay more than $130 for a "cheap one" might just want to order one on-line. Mine are "gold" level and weren't much more than $130.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This is the link

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...l-535cca/sli64

Two year warrenty too. Not bad but I think itll be a pain if it needs to be warrentied or getting a new one since it would seem they dont stock it (Id have to call and verify). Since group 56 pretty much superceded group 64 and theyre readily available I think I might just go with a 56. I dont like the lower cold cranking amps but it is what it is. Ill call the dealer tomorrow for a quote since they seem to have a good warrenty.

Comment

Called the Ford dealer earlier, they carry group 58 (which I guess superceded group 64) and its about 130. So 130 for a motorcraft battery with a 3 year 100 month prorated warrenty. I think Im going to go for it.

Comment

Just note that if you have the battery bracket that bolts to the upper radiator support, you will need another bracket for the smaller battery. If you have the bolt down block that holds the bottom of the battery, you'll have no issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The one I got has a plastic bracket and two studs with hooks on the bottom so I should be good right?

Comment

Yup.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I bought a 58 from wally world since I was there to return the 65, and welp its still too wide. The 56 is about the same size as the 64 so now Ill have to make yet another trip for a 56, ugh.

Comment

Working...
                          X