Wipers 1986 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipers 1986 MGM

Ok I have been 'Dicking' around over the last several months after finally getting a brand new in the box Ford one wire wiper for my ride.
    Looks like I have to finally get off my ass and put it in..........some strange events as of this week.........heavy rains caused me to put on the wipers, duh, but the wipers would not stop even though I shut them off.............had to finally dick with the wiper arm control; and leave it in a position where they stopped. Other times they work and then just die mid position on the windshield.

Stupid question......is this an indication of a bad motor, or is there an actual electrical switch that is bad (wipers do not want to stop even though the control is in the off position.)

Thanks for the education.

Since the switch is in charge or turning them on and off my money is on a switch. Try turning them on and giving the steering comumn a couple technical taps to see if that has any effect. That could help narrow it down to the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think someone else recently went through this and found it to be a bad ground on the wiper motor.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had odd wiper issues ages ago and it was just what gadget said.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

For years I had to didle the wiper switch untill it went kaput during a light rain storm made it home safely.

Comment

Well gents due to Wagon Man, I installed a new wiper switch.........works like a charm.....wiper motor had no ground problems and the parking issues were due to the faulty wiper switch.

Next thing to chase is a major vac leak, causing the blower motor to slow down and many times stop.......that vac tree on the engine side dash is a bitch to get to......

Comment

That leak is usually the soup can, the check valve, or the vacuum connection to the thermal blower lockout. Anything else is pretty much connections or a hole in a line (usually the one that goes to the controls from the check valve).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                Well gents due to Wagon Man, I installed a new wiper switch.........works like a charm.....wiper motor had no ground problems and the parking issues were due to the faulty wiper switch.
                That is good to hear. Nice when you can just change a part and your issue is solved. It really sucks when you change a part and you still have the problem.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Glad I could help. I test everything prior to selling. I have 2 more wiper switches if anybody needs one. WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Thanks again Pete!!!
                    Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                    Glad I could help. I test everything prior to selling. I have 2 more wiper switches if anybody needs one. WagonMan

Comment

Yes indeed Dave, sometimes things break positively!
                      Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      That is good to hear. Nice when you can just change a part and your issue is solved. It really sucks when you change a part and you still have the problem.

Comment

Sly good to talk on you again! Found two new soup cans..(love e-bay LOL) put one on ....had no effect, also put in a new check valve, made no difference, I tossed out the TBLS some years ago and sealed up the lines. Next thing to check per is the mass of hoses in back of the ash tray, or the actual control below the dash board. I hooked up a vac guage with the engine running to see how much vac was being pulled...upon shutting off the engine the vac gauge went to zero immediately:-(...this tells me major leak SOMEPLACE, YO!!
                        Originally posted by sly View Post
                        That leak is usually the soup can, the check valve, or the vacuum connection to the thermal blower lockout. Anything else is pretty much connections or a hole in a line (usually the one that goes to the controls from the check valve).

Comment

Probably one of the T connections behind the ashtray or one of the hoses came loose from an actuator. Could also be the controls. And that thing is a PITA to change out too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A hole update, A-hole.....dat b me:-(

So we all know that when you assume anything you are bound to F up!
                            I assumed the check valve was good, because I installed a new one last year......in desperation I brought the car to my buds shop out on LI....I brought the Ford vac/elec book to help him out.........long story short the check valve I put in was shot, did not hold any vac, fortunately I saved the old valve........put that back in and it seemed it was much better than the other...........AND!!..........turns out the new vac hose I put in was just a C's hair too large.........put in a smaller hose........out onto the expressway to test with the a/c on full blast.....after several runs at full throttle, the car no longer exhibited the fan stopping malady, so I guess its safe to say that the problem is rectified..........I did order another valve this time from Green Sales (NOS Ford)......not the crap I purchased on e-thief.
                            Thanks again to all you guys who weighed in for me!!

Comment

Additional update for wagon man............I guess I will have to put in that new wiper motor after all..............I still have the park problems and no ability to shut off the wipers........oh well we gave it our best shot

Comment

Working...
                              X