Drivers rear window not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers rear window not working

So here's the issue. The window worked just fine when I bought the car just under a month ago, I didn't really use it but I ran it up and down a few times since. Last Friday I noticed that it wasn't working at all, and at first I thought it might be the master switch in the drivers door. The other 3 windows work fine and both passenger windows work off both the master switch and their respective switches. When I hit the switch for the rear drivers window either in the drivers door or rear door the interior lights dim slightly, I'm not very good with electrical stuff but I assume this means power is at least getting through the switch. I can't imagine the motor just up and died without going out slowly, I don't know if it's possible for these things to over travel and get stuck or what to look for. I know the boxes were simple as I replaced the bushings in the window motors on my '88 MGM, but I'm guessing the '03 probably has a totally different set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

if the lights dim a bit, its probably not an electrical issue. My guess is the window regulator failed somehow. The cables are somewhat known for turning into a bird nest in the jacket and jamming the whole works up.

and yeah, totally different than the 80s stuff. They replaced the big metal rack that would flex the door with this thing that looks like a bicycle brake cable assembly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      if the lights dim a bit, its probably not an electrical issue. My guess is the window regulator failed somehow. The cables are somewhat known for turning into a bird nest in the jacket and jamming the whole works up.

and yeah, totally different than the 80s stuff. They replaced the big metal rack that would flex the door with this thing that looks like a bicycle brake cable assembly.
      I figured it was the cable deal, those can be a real bear I’ve heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

The front aren't so bad... the rear are a bit of a beast due to the lack of space to work. It's all the same setup though. Drill the rivets and replace with bolts or new 1/4 rivets on the new regulator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          The front aren't so bad... the rear are a bit of a beast due to the lack of space to work. It's all the same setup though. Drill the rivets and replace with bolts or new 1/4 rivets on the new regulator.
          I’ll have to look into it. As long as it’s not too bad I’ll eventually get around to it. It’s the last thing to fix other than the AC, there’s a leak somewhere. It’s late enough in the year that I’ll get that next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

​

Comment

the hardest thing is just positioning. There's enough room, but you really gotta get stuff angled right for that room to work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X