Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

priming engine after oil change or sitting for more than a few days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

priming engine after oil change or sitting for more than a few days?

Hi guys,I do not drive my car much, it has a Motorcraft oil filter on it with a ADBV yet my engine is noisy after it has sat for two days or longer. The noise seems to last for 30 seconds to a minute which seems like an eternity while I am waiting for it to simmer down.

Anyways I was thinking about adding a real Oil pressure gauge with a T from the Oil Sending unit and possibly a oil priming system.

All of this because I am overly anal about my car I guess and my mind is telling me excessive wear is happening to the timing chain guides and other parts while the noise is happening.

So I researched all sort of options none of which I liked because of the cost, time, pain,labor etc of installing a system that probably is not needed.

I did buy new Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend oil and a quality filter that I have yet to change out thinking I may have wanted to add on some sort of priming system.

Anyways I came across a Ford GT forum where some of their members were discussing the oil priming procedures for their car which were just as easy as turn the key on floor the gas pedal and crank on it a few times until the oil light or gauge indicates pressure.

So this morning I went out to start my car to let it run like I do to keep things working well and I tried this procedure on my car and to my surprise the engine has never sounded better at start up or after warm up.

So my question is does any one do this procedure either after that car has sat or after a oil change?

After today I am a believer and I will be doing this anytime I change the oil or let my car sit.

I will say once I change out my oil and filter and prime it I plan on letting it sit for a few days to see if the new filter makes any differance on its own since I guess it is possibly I may have a defective ADBV ( Anti Drain Back valve ) in my Motorcraft filter.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I do this after changing the oil.

My cars don't sit except in their off-season (the '98 does not see salt so is parked from November-April usually), and I start them every couple weeks just to keep things going. However, when they've been sitting that long in the winter I'm too paranoid about not having enough battery to crank the engine more than needed for it to start, so i don't bother priming them. The '96 and '98 will both clatter on startup for maybe 10 seconds, usually less, if they have sat for more than a week. A couple days of sitting and they are silent. The later 4.6s use different timing chain tensioners and they are more prone to bleeding off their pressure when not being run. My buddy's '05 will almost always clatter if it has sat for more than a day, but its a P71 with who knows how many idle hours on top of its ~130k. I did notice with that car, if I put an extra half quart in it when changing the oil that its less likely to clatter. I also know when my '96 or '98 are a quart low because they'll clatter on startup after sitting overnight. The '97 never clatters, ever, even when its 2 quarts low on oil (its a burner), no idea why. I use 5w20 oil and a Motorcraft filter on all of them always.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Thanks for the reply, BTW I am not sure what oil the Ford Dealership put in my car before I bought it. my thinking is they used whatever bulk oil they have on hand.
      Yet another reason for me to change it before it is needed by mileage, date or fuel smell. ( which it does have a faint odor of fuel )

Comment

I guess I've been relatively lucky with my 2000 MGM. I work at home and don't drive much, so it can go weeks without being used. I would say more often than not I don't have any issues, and any issues tend to be very brief. I have had occasions where it seemed in the realm of as bad as right after an oil change, though those occasions have been rare and typically not nearly as bad as right after an oil change.

Something I've done after oil changes is unscrewed the fuel cutoff in the trunk, gave it a good whack, and then cranked the engine a bit to get some oil flowing. For the sake of sparing the starter, I've kept individual cranks brief and waited long enough between cranks to give it some cooling time. Unscrewing the fuel cutoff can be a PITA, so I'll try to remember the gas pedal method.

Edit: I might as well note that even when I don't take special measures after an oil change (like my last one, since I was lazy and hadn't looked into the gas pedal method), the worst nastiness on startup is probably in the five-second range, and I've always considered it to be camshaft noise (at least that's what it seems like).
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 08-24-2019, 11:54 AM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah when I said 30 seconds to a minute I really have not timed it, But to me any noise on start up drives me nuts especially on a low mileage car that I love and want to keep around for awhile.

I might add that from what I read you have to have the key on then hold the gas pedal to the floor then crank the engine to get a crank with no start situation.
          Others have mentioned that holding the pedal to the floor then they put the key in the ignition and crank normally results in a WOT startup!!!
          Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 08-24-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Step 1, turn up the radio
            step 2, start the engine
            step 3, turn down the radio after 60 seconds

what noise?

the timing tensioners bleed down on these and its probably the chain clattering around that you hear. Its pretty typical of most engines with chain driven overhead cams. Personally I would not worry about this.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So i was all paranoid about how long it took to get oil up the rockers when i was priming this 84 motor with a drill. Maybe 20-25 seconds to get them all dribbling. Did some searching and found that some SBC solid lifter combos will take like 60 seconds at 2000rpm to get oil to pump up there, despite having instant pressure at mains. I know apples to oranges, but if those motors can go "dry" no load, for 60 seconds, without any real negative impacts... i don't think a few seconds the modular takes is going cause much damage.

But yes, a Clear Flood Mode is a thing in most fords from my experience, i did it all the time in my 90MGM, and 03 Explorer with a 4.0L v6 after my oil changes.

Comment

I knew about the clear flood option but had never used it for cold start up or oil changes. Not sure I’ll do it for cold starts on a regular basis but I will add this to my oil change routine.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                  ... The later 4.6s use different timing chain tensioners and they are more prone to bleeding off their pressure when not being run. ...
                  As I understand it, they went from ratcheting tensioners that hold some tension when they bleed down to ones that lose tension when they bleed down. There was an issue with premature tensioner arm wear in some 2000-2003 panthers, and the change presumably came about after that, but I don't know the details.

I've seen some tensioners being sold with plates that are supposed to prevent bleed down, but I have no idea if they work.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Well I figure it like this I do not drive the car much, so when I do get around to starting it up and perhaps taking it for a drive a little time and perhaps extra wear to the starter to get that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing I have oil pressure on startup plus no noise I am all for it.
                    This being said if this was a daily driver-beater I would just crank and go pedal to the metal.

Comment

Its not a lack of lube oil in the engine, its the hydraulic tensioners bleeding down and causing slack in the timing chains. You're not hurting the motor when it makes those noises. Just wait for the noise to stop and it'll be fine. Adding an external prime system sounds like more things to break and cause trouble IMO.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah was pretty sure it is the tensioners bleeding down causing my noise, yet I still do not want the chain slapping against the guides which is why I decided to just crank the engine over a few times when I start it rather than adding in other junk that could fail like you mention.
                        The worse that could happen is I could wear out my starter faster yet I only crank the engine over at 5 seconds per crank normally less than two cranks turn off the oil light. So I do not think I am being abusive to the starter.

I plan on having the oil and filter changed soon I am hoping the new oil and filter may help things, yet I have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Its not a lack of lube oil in the engine, its the hydraulic tensioners bleeding down and causing slack in the timing chains. You're not hurting the motor when it makes those noises. Just wait for the noise to stop and it'll be fine. Adding an external prime system sounds like more things to break and cause trouble IMO.
                          Yah, you're just going to wear out the starter motor. I like the idea Steve has about going into flood mode after an oil change though.

My Fury had a lot of slop in the main bearings. Firing that thing right up in the morning or after it had sat more than three hours would result in some lower end knock as the crank slapped around until oil pressure built up. Now, with that thing, I definitely cranked it until the oil light went out.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Step 1, turn up the radio
                            step 2, start the engine
                            step 3, turn down the radio after 60 seconds

what noise?

the timing tensioners bleed down on these and its probably the chain clattering around that you hear. Its pretty typical of most engines with chain driven overhead cams. Personally I would not worry about this.
                            ^^^This. It'll still go 2-400k miles. The 4.6 is pretty good.

Comment

I found this write up on the 4.6 and it has me nervous about the possibility my timing chain guide may already be broken.
                              I still have not got around to changing the oil and filter but I am more motivated since reading this article.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/115

Comment

Working...
                              X