Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

priming engine after oil change or sitting for more than a few days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like to me that I could pull the valve covers and look for a broken tab on the guides with a small inspection camera.
    Has anyone done this? if so what camera setup worked?
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I can't imagine why they went with the mostly plastic version instead of the metal ones with the plastic added. I've never seen anything about those wearing down to the metal, just the tensioner arms.

I had previously thought about going through the camshaft sensor hole (which limits you to one side), and I saw someone else had come up with something like that previously, but I haven't seen anything about someone actually doing it. Taking the covers off completely can be tricky due to space constraints, but opening them up enough to get a scope in probably wouldn't be too bad. In the absence of learning from someone else's experience, you might want to look at lots of pics of the internals to get a sense of the internal space constraints when assembled, and practice on a junker in a U-pull yard.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I have been putting off the oil change and other maintenance but it looks like I will pop the drivers side valve cover off and use the lighted inspection camera that I have to see if I can see the mounting tab behind and below the timing gear. Looking at the pictures of that mustang engine it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to tell if it is broke or not.

Comment

I did finally change the oil and filter I used Motorcraft semi-synthetic and a gold K&N filter and I let it sit for two days and I am happy to announce that the noise that was driving me nuts on start up is gone or I should say is slightly there at startup and goes away within a few seconds.
          So I consider this normal and I will not be looking into the chain guides etc.
          My guess is the oil just needed to be changed or the filter anti drain back valve was leaking in the OEM filter.

Thanks for all the help and opinions.

Comment

I saw the following video on YouTube (from the CVN post below) about someone keeping the oil on the high side to get rid of an unwanted noise that persisted. Might be something to consider:

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...26#Post4031526

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah my engine never sounded that bad. I would have torn it apart by now if it did.

Comment

Working...
              X