Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado based native with a 2nd owner '90 MGM The Grey Goose

Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a couple months while researching repairs to keep my poor lil grey Mercury on the road.
    So far things I've done:

I broke off the AC temperature control slider guts, and had to epoxy the housing to get it to work the pull cable.
    Swapped aftermarket stereo's from Alpine CD player to Kenwood blutooth unit with better sound.
    Recently the smog pump froze up caused a smoking/slipping belt, so put on the shorter belt bypassing the smog pump. (still not capped off)

Otherwise I just put gas and oil in it and drive. The previous owner had it since his dad bought it new. He had re-done the vinyl top, (now a bit torn)
    He told me he had had it re-painted once. (now the clear is peeling from the hood, and there are a couple minor rust spots on door edges and the usual spots under wheel wells etc. He also kept a log book of all the repairs he did over the years, so I may add a history of the dates of repairs if there is interest.

It starts and runs smooth. The previous owner is a mechanic and had converted the AC from r-12 to r134.. it blows cold and rides quiet with all windows up.
    No current issues, but I do wonder if I will run into trouble when I go to do emissions next year.

Anyway, the car seems to run great and I hope to keep it going for as long as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Marquis.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1305040
    Last edited by Sasqtch; 08-25-2019, 03:23 PM.
    90 Mercury Grand Marquis "The Grey Goose"

Welcome to the forum. Car was always from Colorado?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes, always been in Colorado..

Thanks for the welcome David!

Sasqtch

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190825_125224.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1285771Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190825_125144.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1285772Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190825_125158.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1285773Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190825_125346.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1285775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190825_125137.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1285776
      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Your car looks like it's in far better shape than either of mine, but my current cars are daily drivers that I picked up for next to nothing in 2012 and 2016.

Is this your daily driver or something to have some fun with?
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Vic, I picked up this car for cheap ($500) for a daily driver.

As much fun as it would be to get it to make it more energetic with upgrades, I plan to just keep it clean and running for the next while.
          It's not in great-great shape, but I feel fortunate having picked it up from an enthusiast who has a couple newer MGM's.

Comment

Nice. I got one of mine for $500 in 2012 and the shape it was in was not as good as yours and needed way more work. 7 years later and having been the only car I had on the road until 2016 when it became the designated winter DD, well, lets just say my signature picture is a bit outdated.

The other one I got for $700 in 2016, it's been my non-winter DD since I got it, although mom has borrowed it at the tail end of winter a time or two. It's pretty close to the same shape as when I got it, but it also is not quite as good shape as yous looks to be.

The seat belt extensions are nice, I have one I found in the JY.

Being way up in MI, I guess the sun doesn't bake the dash, I don't think I've seen any cracked like that up here. Interiors tend to do pretty well up here, but body rot is awful.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Yeah Vic, the cracks in the dash bothered me more when I first bought it, now I just kind of accept those as part of this cars personality.

The seat belt extensions have been more beneficial for comfort than I thought they would be and if I ever let the car go, I will certainly hang on to those!

Your cars look well maintained and I envy you the white wall tires! Are MI winters as bad as I assume them to be? Meaty snow tires would be a great thing, and even though this tire-size lends itself to cheap, Denver winters aren't so bad that I cannot make do with whats on it.

The peeling clear coat on the hood has me super tempted to gently sand the edges and just re-clear it every couple seasons. I know it won't stop the effect from coming back, but when the clear is peeling like a sunburn on skin and flaking back a couple inches, it drives me batty.

Comment

I never had snow tires until last year. I really could have used them while I was in the UP (Michigan's Upper Peninsula). Winters around Detroit are kind of tame/lame most years lately.

Click the link in my signature for my Reader's Ride thread on The Ice Car. The last page has at least one picture of the good side of the car (passenger side; driver side is literally almost entirely rotted off with a couple fist sized holes). No more white walls on that car with the snow tires. 16 inch '98-'02 steel wheels, 225/60R16.

Well maintained... I try to keep them functioning and as clean as reasonably possible. At some point there's only so much that can be done, and these will never be show cars for sure. So the rot and peeling clear coat I've just come to accept. A lot of it was already there when I got the cars so I don't feel too bad about it. Some day when I have more time to properly care for a car I'd like to find a nice '90-'91 Country Squire, but I just can't subject a nice wagon to the kind of abuse my current rides endure, lol. Thanks for the compliment though.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                X