No announcement yet.

Excessive cranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I didnt have much time I decided to check the grounds, plug wires and coil. The coil has a bare spot, which I shocked myself on lol. Someone used electrical tape so I took it off to inspect the area but theres still a lot of goop from it that hid the bare spot. The plug wires are good though cylinders 1-4 were touching the valve cover near the oil filler neck but that was fixed but didnt help so I moved on to the ground locations. A while ago when I installed the efi intake again I had the fuel injection harness ground attached to the lower intake like its supposed to but I moved it on a whim later because it looked like it made better contact at the throttle bracket. It made sense that it would also be a ground point but I guess its not. I took it off today and took a piece of wire and wired it straight to the battery ground terminal temporarily and no more sparks lol. It also made the surge while sitting at a red light go away and the issue where if I changed throttle positions too quickly it would bog or stall is gone too. Its crazy how such a small thing can have such a huge impact. It still isnt silky smooth at idle but the driveability is so much better. When I have time Ill go over the basics, thanks Outlaw for that suggestion. And Wolf, no there was no slack in the throttle plate, though it is a moot point now I still wanted to respond to you lol.

Bottom line is check your grounds people, a bad one could cause strange issues.

https://youtu.be/zdqcGoyb1Ms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I remember working on these cars when they were new and it was hard enough then and like any car that gets old the work gets harder because of previous work and neglected maintenance. Glad you found the big problem that was haunting you.
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Thanks. It was my own stupidity that caused this one lol. I switched everything back over to efi and had to source everything pretty much from ebay. Some stuff I didnt even know I was missing... but its pretty much there just some odds and ends. And on top of that there are regular maintenance items that need to be replaced along the way.

Comment

Do not feel too bad I have seen worse.
          Years ago I had a customer that spent 3 months and countless money hanging parts on his Oldsmobile after replacing a supposedly worn camshaft and could never get it running right.

After spending a hour running complete diagnostic tests on our Sun MCS 4000 I found that he somehow installed a 6 cylinder HEI distributor with a 8 cylinder cap and stuffed it in his Olds 350 V8. The amazing thing is that it started up and ran but only on 6 cylinders. LOL

The sad part is the distributor is the first part he hung on it while tossing parts at the car trying to fix the original misfire. The cause of his original misfire was a broken vacuum accumulator. He vowed to never ever touch his car again.
          2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Oh geez, at least he didnt give up. Its sad seeing people getting rid of cars because theyre tired of chasing stupid little issues. That happened to me when I had a 98 p71. It was always something little though it never cost me much and never left me stranded. I rebuilt the entire front suspension chasing a sloppy steering wheel only to sell it afterwards granted it did go to someone who really needed a car. I miss that car though. One day Ill get another p71 but Ive got too much on my plate right now lol.

Comment

Working...
            X