Excessive cranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive cranking

I had a similar issue when I had my 85 ltd but could never figure it out. When I turn the key itll turn over just fine but it takes a while to fire. Fuel pressure is fine around 35 psi after turning the key once and I swapped coils (msd crap from the po with the stock coil) and it started the same. I even tried holding the throttle open slightly to rule out the iac which also had no affect. Ive checked the ect and iat before and both were fine. The map sensor is original but I dont have any other issues really so I doubt its bad. Funny thing is when I had my vacuum lines routed incorrectly and the map sensor was getting a low vacuum reading it would start way easier but dump fuel lol. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try this. Turn the key to "on" for 3 seconds. Turn it back off, and then back to on for a couple seconds, then crank it. If it starts quickly, the fuel pressure isn't coming up fast enough.

Is the timing correct? Any chance someone has moved the plug wires around to correct for an improperly dropped distributor? The #1 terminal on the distributor cap has to go to #1 spark plug otherwise the injectors fire out of sequence with the intake stroke. It will run, but instead of shooting fuel into an open valve it ends up spraying into the intake and until enough puddle forms for it to trickle into the valve it won't start.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Excessive cranking

That didnt really have any effect, maybe slightly.

The timing is correct as Ive checked it a few times myself. The base timing seems fine too, the powerband is good. Im still not ruling out fuel pressure entirely but it seems ok.

Come to think of it I have noticed a few things that maybe are related. When I first put it in drive sometimes itll stall, there is a little bit of hanging idle if I rev it in park, when I transition from brakes to gas itll sometimes stall but bogs a lot of the time and at red light I noticed sometimes likes to surge.

Last edited by 87GrandMarq; 08-26-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

could be the IAC is sticky then, I've also had dead spots in the TPS do funny stuff with idle.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tps is new, the old one would affect idle with a few technical taps but I could always check this one. I will clean the iac when I get time too just to rule that out. The iac came off a junker that God knows how long it sat so it could very well be sticky or the stepper motor could be bad.

Comment

ever done the key on, engine running test to see what it has to say? That should tell you if its unhappy about the TPS or IAC.

dunno, mine has always lit off fairly quickly even after sitting a while. As long as the battery and starter are in decent shape anyway. If it cranks slow its not so good.

Comment

Not since my new battery was installed but there is a cel so you never know. I hooked up my scanner yesterday but it wouldnt do anything for some reason, maybe old batteries?

It turns over quickly and the battery is new so I think both the battery and starter are good.

Comment

possible, but if it absolutely refuses to self-test, this might help

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page44.html

Comment

I tried the key on off trick on my coupe. Because it had extended crank. That went away when I changed the fuel pump and the piece of hose between the pump and the hanger. The hose was severely cracked. So it was a wonder that the car ran at all. It didn't hold pressure at all.

Comment

Im thinking its a weak fuel pump. But I did get it to self test after replacing the batteries in my scanner. I keep getting 33, 41 and 91. Ill have to clean the egr when I have the chance. It seems the more I drive the car the more the issues go away lol.

The only issue Im having now is sometimes after driving for a few minutes itll lose all power. If I take my foot off the gas itll be fine but the more gas I give it the worse it gets. Im guessing thats a fuel delivery issue but its so out of the blue. It stalled the last time it did that but the fuel pump was still running after it stalled. I popped it in neutral and it started right back up. Otherwise itll run perfectly all day long.

Comment

33 is egr not opening. Usually thats a cracked vacuum line.

41 and 91 are engine lean codes. Vac leak, thermactor never shutting off, fuel pump problems could do it. If your fuel pressure gauge has a long enough hose, rig it up and go for a drive. If it doesn't hold pressure when you put your foot down, you've got fuel feed problems. Could be pump, filter, or that hose in the tank John mentioned.

Comment

I wonder if the egr code has to do with the lean codes. As far as I can see all the vacuum lines are intact. Theres no smog pump so that rules that out. Ill have to dig into it a little more.

I thought about the line in the tank, I mean its 32 years old lol. But I figure that would cause consistent problems. Anyway Ill try to use the extension with my fuel pressure gauge to narrow that down. I have a new filter but havent been motivated enough to install it, maybe this is just the motivation I was looking for lol.

Comment

probably not, unless its because of a decent size vacuum leak. The EGR system runs through that 4 line connector hanging by the passenger fender. Vacuum source is the red line, it has several tees in it, and vacuum from the solenoid is on the green line. If that connector is leaky or if the multiple branches on the red line are bad it won't work. If the EGR vac regulator is bad it also won't work. Not impossible the valve is just bad. Pull vacuum on it with a hand pump and see if it opens. If it doesn't hold vacuum or move, the valve is NFG. Its a pretty simple system overall but its just got a lot of old rubber and plastic parts that were never meant to last this long.

Comment

Gotcha, will do thanks Gadget. There is a black vacuum line that runs parallel to the red and green lines, do you know where thats supposed to go? Ive read its for the smog pump but Id like to know for sure.

Comment

the black one and the white one go to the smog pump stuff. I forget which is which though, but one goes to the pump and one goes to the diverter valve up by the AC stuff. TAD is the diverter, TAB is the bypass by the pump. The sticker under the hood should show which color goes where.

Comment

Working...
                              X