How to remove the fender and door trim and moulding - 87 Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove the fender and door trim and moulding - 87 Colony Park

After reading thru the posts in "Exterior" I decided to post here since I couldnīt find anything about the CP. Move the thread if you need to.

I am strongly considering to put on new wood foil on my wagon and belive it will be easier to apply the vinyl with all the trim and moulding off of the vehicle. Not only will I not have to worry about working on the edges of the trim, also putting the trim back on over the foil will make a nice and clean appearance with the foil running underneath the trim.

How do I get the trim off? I am talking about the upper and lower pieces that line the wood foil, the once that carry a wood foil stripe themselves. And how do I get them back on? Also, how to remove those protective strips in the middle of the doors, are those glued on?
    Regards, Alex

sigpic

Middle of doors running from fender along front door and then back door and possibly beyond into the quarter panel are double stick taped on.

I believe the trim has a metal backing and any harsh folds in the material will cause the trim to become distorted and not sit correctly so use caution and DO NOT BEND the trim while remove it from the panels. I would recommend heat and a nice putty knife and gently work at the double stick tape. Another method would be to use string test fishing line to "saw" through the adhesive. Follow up with an erase wheels to remove the remaining bits. Again if the trim does have the metal backing risk permanently distorting it if you bend it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fishing line should work.

Any idea about the upper and lower trim?
      Regards, Alex

sigpic

Comment

This should help

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8167.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1285778

Name:	IMG_8168.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1285779

Name:	IMG_8169.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1285780

Comment

Certainly looks like the interior rear side panels will need to come out to get to the nuts on the quarter panel trim. I have had the side panels out of my 88 and they aren’t as bad as they might seem.

I agree that taking the trim off is the only way to do this right. Just be careful with all the clips! I will need to do the same to my 90 at some point.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yup chances are many will self destruct on removal. I found some clips for a random other vehicle worked ok as replacements. If I find the box of remaining clips i will post the numbers. It may have wound up in the car body when I sold it.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working at a detail shop, whenever I need to remove trim or stick on stuff I use a steamer. If you have access to one, it makes the adhesive play a little nicer. Along with good quality fiber strands, or fishing line, or something similar. A plastic "razorblade" comes in handy too.
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Thanks. Itīs crazy how many clips in number and especially variety were used to put the trim on! Oh, thanks for the pages BTW, great help! My Chilton doesnīt show any of these.

Is it possible to pry off the trim instead of unbolting all those clips? It also looks as if parts could simply be slid to one side and then taken off?
                Regards, Alex

sigpic

Comment

if you pry, you with bend and split/break the moldings.

Its not too bad. The doors/tailgate and front fenders can be removed without any interior removal. The Passenger side you can get access though the spare tire cover. Drivers rear fender you need to remove the trim.

Comment

Ok, I unbolted the two nuts on the passenger door and tried to slide the trim out of the clips. No luck. I then carefully pried a section of the trim out of one of the clips. Worked without damage, but not sure I can do it all around the car. Clipped the trim back in and fastened the nuts.

So, the right way to do it would be to unbolt all of the clips? I canīt see how to get to them w/o removing the door panel. Furthermore, I took a look at the fenders and couldnīt spot a single nut, bolt or fastener. Neither from the engine bay nor thru the gap at the A-pillar nor from the wheel well. Would I have to take the inner fender off to see the bolts?

Oh, and I have a CP, not a CV, if that makes a difference.
                    Regards, Alex

sigpic

Comment

They can’t all be unbolted because they some are mounted with a rivet or a stud on the body the clip just slips on.

May try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T.../dp/B002KSAZ78
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                      X