1986 town car died while driving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 town car died while driving.

Okay awhile back while driving the 1986 town car she just lost power and clunked out. Turn the key nothing but cranking. I’ve pulled some codes but they’re all over the place, one of them mentioned being lean, one mentions the MAF, one the fuel pump, one the purge cansistor(?!?!)

But the first batch of codes were simply 11.

So idfk. I replaced the TFI as it was a hot day and randomly dying on a hot day after a long drive is classic case action lawsuit of TFI, welp that ain’t the case.

So the question is what can it be. I’m leaning towards the distributor strator failing as that was did in my 1986 Vic.

Any other ideas or things to check. I’m charging up the battery again as that got low from me replacing the TFI and pleading to the 5.0 to just work.

Swap dizzy with a known good one (if you have one, otherwise try the pickup).

Also, check fuel pressure. Make sure the pump didn't decide to go tits up.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

What KW said.

The MAF code is "where applicable" and there should be something else on that code description that is applicable since your car does not have MAF (if still stock).
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Does it have spark? If it does, the TFI and the pickup are fine. Does the fuel pump buzz when you turn it on? Fuel or fire, it must be missing one.

no idea why you'd get a MAF code. All but one of the MAF codes double as a trans oil temperature sensor code, and you don't have either. The only other one is a self-test one that can be MAF or MAP and its basically a "did you bump the throttle" test. Its not actually anything broken. Thats also an engine running test, which can't be done if it won't run.
        Last edited by gadget73; 08-28-2019, 08:35 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Does it have spark? If it does, the TFI and the pickup are fine. Does the fuel pump buzz when you turn it on? Fuel or fire, it must be missing one.

no idea why you'd get a MAF code. All but one of the MAF codes double as a trans oil temperature sensor code, and you don't have either. The only other one is a self-test one that can be MAF or MAP and its basically a "did you bump the throttle" test. Its not actually anything broken. Thats also an engine running test, which can't be done if it won't run.
          That’s why I’m letting the battery charge up before I try again. The codes I pulled made no damn sense.

I’ll test spark tomorrow. I’m certain I can just pull a plug from the spare block I have lying around and try that.

I’m hoping it’s the distributor as that’s an easy fix. I replaced a fuel pump on my Vic and that was a fucking nightmare. So I’m praying it’s not the fuel pump

Comment

The car is getting no spark. Tested it today. Going to buy a distributor to put in it.

Comment

Working...
            X