2010 town car heater issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 town car heater issue

Hey gang. Been gone for a bit. Scrapped the 89 GM, and been driving the Town Car. I found out last night, that I have an issue with the heating system. I was running the defroster, during a rainstorm, and the right side is running ice cold, even with the temp set at 90. I scanned for codes, and got nothing, code wise. I'm guessing that the r/s blend door is disconnected, and/or broken. Where is this located? I'm thinking behind the glovebox somewhere, but I don't want to just rip it apart, as this is my daily driver. Also, while I'm thinking about it, when I come off the expressway/hwy, I get a warning chime, but NO lights. It does this up to about 20 seconds, or so. With 420, 000 on the car, I suspect maybe oil pressure. The oil is fresh, and clean, with a Motorcraft oil filter, and 5w20 synthetic. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.
    Mike

Sounds to me like you're on the right track with the blend door theory. It may be the blend door broke off at its hinge. The actuator will still turn and report back the control head, via position sensor, that it is doing its job while the broken off door is not actually moving. On the older cars its the same as doing a heater core since the blend door actuator is tucked on top of the heater box under the bottom edge of the windshield. Not to mention to get at the blend door you'll need to remove the heater box anyway. Although you might be able to tell if the actuator is moving without going through all that work.
    When you checked codes was it through the EATC self test? (I assume EATC is standard on a LTC.) I'm not sure if a scan tool would pick up those codes, but it might on a 2010 without need for the self test.

No idea what the warming chime is about.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 08-29-2019, 05:41 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

VicCrownVic, I went to replace the blend door motor, only to find it was missing. Turns out the Limo company took a few parts out of her, I still have to install an air door motor, as they took that, too. Thanks to my wife, who figured it out, the chime I'm hearing is for when the turn signal is on too long. Now I just have to figure out how to disable it.
      Mike

Comment

Lol, that would do it.

If I ever buy something made in this century I'll have to keep that in mind about the turn signal warning chime.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Don't you love it when people take (or break) stuff, don't tell you and let you figure it out.

Comment

I don't trust my memory, but I think the turn signal reminder on/off procedure is in the owners manual. I don't remember seeing it on a list of forscan items. (not that there is much of a list for panthers)

Comment

ForScan to disable the turn signal reminder is actually having to rekey the coding on one of the modules. I believe the LCM.
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I know it's a year and a half later on this post, but I was able to turn off the turn signal chime with the scan tool from work. There is actually a section in the scanner to turn on/off different options. I turned on the DRL's while I was at it.

MIKE

Comment

Nifty. I've heard about the "Turn Signal Reminder" on the later cars. I guess it's handy for the demographic that these were targeted for in case they decided to go for an extended trip with the signal on.

Wonder if ForScan might also support doing some of the similar changes. On my mother's '09 MKZ, I was able to disable the seat belt reminder if you moved the car around without your seat belt on, only on the principle I'd move the car around the driveway and it would start dinging at me. It'll still ding at you if you don't have it on when you start the car, but won't remind you again after the fact.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Google a search on the car model and forscan, you will likely find a forum that has a decent list of things you can alter.

Comment

Working...
                    X