In the market for a wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the market for a wagon

I'm in the Portland, OR area and looking to make some poor decisions. I've got a fairly fleshed out plan for dropping a 408W and MS3 Utimate into a Colony Park (Preferably an 86-87) in pursuit of a killer sleeper/cruising machine. As I cruise the classifieds and their limited offerings in this field I have found a not bad '87 CV wagon. My question is this, what were the standard/optional differences between a same year Colony Park and CV wagon? I would really prefer a Colony Park in red (Stranger Things...) but could be convinced into a CV if the equipment is the same.

Thanks!
    Kellen
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Vics are generally lower optioned but can be had with the same stuff as Mercury. I noticed vics can have less sound reading material compared to mercury.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

A few months ago a picked up a black and red 88 CS out of the Seattle area. It's got every option offered including wing windows and the insta clear windshield. The Pacific NW is a good place to find them you just need to be patient. I found that the panels in the back tend to fade as they've aged with the red and blue interiors. The tan panels tend to look better over time. The wood trim on the CP's tend to hold up better than the CS.

88 Country Squire
      86 Colony Park, non-op'd
      89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Comment

Here's a couple of over priced ones:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...965537029.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...949320540.html

88 Country Squire
        86 Colony Park, non-op'd

Comment

“Wood” wagons are generally well equipped whether they be Ford or Mercury. They were the most expensive as base models within their Ford or Mercury line. What’s a few extra thousand for options when you were forking out 20K in 1987? That said, both of my wagons (no wood 88 and “wooden” 90) are both strippers and they are still oodles more comfortable, quiet, and smooth than any of my other stuff.

Find one you like. If you have your heart set on a CP, wait and one will come. Patience. I would also like an 86-87 CP!
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I appreciate the tips, I have been eyeing this one down in the Bay Area https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/...960180517.html but it looks like it is vinyl seats despite the rest of the options.
            Is there a list of options somewhere I could use to check a vehicle?
            1986 Country Squire
            1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...ria-16-17.html

On your link: That would be the second car I’ve seen with vinyl and a leather wrap wheel this month - quite unusual. That one appears to have a good selection of options. Turbine wheels, tripminder, cruise/tilt with the leather wrap, looks like premium sound, power antenna, illuminated entry, ditch lights, ATC, and the all important jump seats. Likely has power windows/locks/mirrors.

The vinyl seats are an odd standout. The jump seats only came in vinyl regardless of main seating material choice, and I see quite a few vinyl seat wagons. Certainly matches better with one consistent material throughout.

Big options missing: tow package. Possibly missing: auto load leveling suspension.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                Possibly missing: auto load leveling suspension.
                Given the other premium features, someone may have checked that box. I was surprised mine had it (while being inop) since it was non-tow package, but did have a 3.27 open rear vs 3.08.

I wonder though if it’d be worth the trouble of trying to get it working again and if there’s any benefits on ride quality. The cargo springs do ride like a light truck unloaded.

@OP: It’s certainly a nice wagon. I’m a fan of options, and that one is well set up. Shame it doesn’t have any vent windows, but they can be swapped in if you find a donor car. They’re quite nice for pleasant days where the A/C isn’t needed.
                Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 08-30-2019, 10:58 PM.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Best way to compare is get a couple of sales brochures on Ebay for the years you are wanting. Keeping in mind the selection is limited now and condition is more important than options.

Comment

I would really like to get something in nit vinyl amd not white...
                    Big Kudos on that brochure page, very informative.
                    As a buyer of classic Rovers and Jaaaaags (required spelling) I am familiar with buying for condition over miles or options. Was the auto load levelling package an air suspension system or a clever self levelling shock like the early Range Rovers?
                    1986 Country Squire
                    1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Load leveling in the Boxes was rear air shocks and coil springs. Very simple system that used a basic controller, a ride height sensor, a compressor, and the shocks. Car too low? Add air. Car too high? Release air. No voodoo magic there.

‘92+ cars did offer load leveling air suspension (air springs and conventional shocks) on certain trims. Principle was similar to the Boxes, but there was extras used in the system that controlled those to also improve handling with the air springs to firm them up under quick maneuvering. Otherwise, a generally robust system if maintained properly.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I've looked at the wagon in Monterey. I looked it over and am about to go for a test drive and the guy tells me that the tranny is slipping going into OD. I pop the hood open and see that the TV bushing is gone and the end of the cable block is just hanging there. I told him about the bushing and how critical it is. Sent him some links once I got home. I wrapped the block back into the throttle plate as best I could with some duck tape. The guy has had it for about a year and has all the receipts from the previous owner. One of which indicates that the tranny has been rebuilt. It is well optioned but does not have the load leveling or tow package. It's over priced I feel it should be $3000 +/- $500 and that is if the tranny is okay once the bushing is installed. If OP wants to IM me I can tell him more about it.

88 Country Squire
                        86 Colony Park, non-op'd

Comment

Originally posted by tikitiki65 View Post
                          I've looked at the wagon in Monterey. I looked it over and am about to go for a test drive and the guy tells me that the tranny is slipping going into OD. I pop the hood open and see that the TV bushing is gone and the end of the cable block is just hanging there. I told him about the bushing and how critical it is. Sent him some links once I got home. I wrapped the block back into the throttle plate as best I could with some duck tape. The guy has had it for about a year and has all the receipts from the previous owner. One of which indicates that the tranny has been rebuilt. It is well optioned but does not have the load leveling or tow package. It's over priced I feel it should be $3000 +/- $500 and that is if the tranny is okay once the bushing is installed. If OP wants to IM me I can tell him more about it.

Cool. Were you also interested in it?

Tough call on the transmission. Even though it was rebuilt does not mean it is good anymore after your findings. It be difficult to decide forking over that amount of cash with that knowledge in the back if your head.
                          Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-02-2019, 05:00 AM.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Don't buy the first wagon you see. Be patient and find a good one at a price that you can afford.
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Well I joined the club and got this minty '86 CS. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ford-C...72.m2749.l2649
                              Was able to get it for 5k, shipping to Oregon should be about 1300. Not bad for a fairly well optioned 73k mile wagon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front3-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1285992

Name:	CenterStack.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1285993

Name:	DriverSeat.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1285994
                              Last edited by kellen302; 10-15-2019, 09:00 PM.
                              1986 Country Squire
                              1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Working...
                              X